Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Secret to Keeping Warm

Old 12-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Secret to Keeping Warm

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

liner socks.....with wool over them, and not 10%wool....mostly wool...sometimes I walk in in just my liners/boots, and put my big socks on later...

I walk in without my bibs on most of the time...and no big jacket...carry that stuff in....otherwise i unzip and keep everything airy walking in, usually by the time you realize you're startint to sweat you're pretty well soaked, however if you do pay more attention to how hot you're getting you can stop and try to catch yourself before you get wet....

heaters are nice to have....but i try to avoid them.....

wind's a killer, can make 40degrees miserable....so having a good windproof shell....

i use a WOOL BLANKET i bought from woolrich .

they go on sale for around 25 dollars this time of year.

it is heavy so i leave it in a bag in woods so i dont have to carry it in each day.

i cut a hole in middle for my head.

boy, does that keep wind off you sitting.

its big one too, i think around 81 inchs, no sure on that and it has sort of a camo design,they have about 20 different color things.

i like it better than sleeping bag idea because i can still move my feet around and walk with it or move easier in stand than the bag idea.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Battery socks are not so effecttive in my experience. They seemed to warm up in the morning, but certainly never got hot like a handwarmer!
Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

Battery socks are not so effecttive in my experience. They seemed to warm up in the morning, but certainly never got hot like a handwarmer!
i have a whole sock drawer full of electric socks i never use.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Slackdaddy

I have a Summit Viper, The bag is "bungeed" to it for the hike in (rolled up pretty tight)
After setting the stand up on the tree, I stuff the bag into the frame of the base of the climber.
After I am setteled in and cooled off, I reach down and un roll the bag, and put it in a "pile" on the platform and just step into it and work it up to my arm pits and sit down, I was amazed how easy it was the 1st time.
When I stand up, it just kinda drops down to about My waste.

Slack
Great idea, now add a pair of clip-on suspenders and you have your very own heater body suit.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bowflex

ORIGINAL: Slackdaddy

I have a Summit Viper, The bag is "bungeed" to it for the hike in (rolled up pretty tight)
After setting the stand up on the tree, I stuff the bag into the frame of the base of the climber.
After I am setteled in and cooled off, I reach down and un roll the bag, and put it in a "pile" on the platform and just step into it and work it up to my arm pits and sit down, I was amazed how easy it was the 1st time.
When I stand up, it just kinda drops down to about My waste.

Slack
Great idea, now add a pair of clip-on suspenders and you have your very own heater body suit.

there is person on here that sells the BLANKET BAG .

it is like a sleeping bag for around 43 dollars and its camo.

your idea is very good on suspenders.

i like my wool blanket better as i can move on ground and in my stand a lot better than a BAG .you haave to be VERY careful in your stand with a sleeping bag on your feet.

but it does not cover my feet,so i bought those BOOT BLANKETS,but have not used them here in pa. yet even tho it was 15 degrees the other day.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a pair of those boot blankets sproul...they are nice!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

I got a pair of those boot blankets sproul...they are nice!
you will not believe this but i take MY BOOTS off and i got smaller size BOOT BLANKETS.

i then take and just put my feet in them while i sit,man, they are warm.

then, if you still get cold i throw in a HAND WARMER in each boot, not the toe warmer,they last 12 hrs not 5 like the toe warmers and put out a lot more heat.

the only problem is, WHEN YOU GO TO WALK TO YOUR TRUCK AT DARK, MAN IS YOUR FEET COLD IN THOSE COLD RUBBER BOOTS I LEFT ON GROUND IN BLACK GARBAGE BAG.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:03 PM

I amalways cold. Have accumulated a bunch of products over the years that I mostly like and mostly work to keep you warm. You have to adjust to the temperature. The best invention, however, is . . . the Heater Body Suit.

Kept hearing good reviews but looks nerdy and costs too much to try out. Bought one on sale this past Spring. Used it this fall. Coldest temp so far 16 degrees. Sat for four hours. I was not comfortable. I was cozy warm! I LOOOOVE it. I dress lightly. Easy to walk. Easy to carry. Light. Not too bulky. Akward to get on. Need a little practice. Works great.

Also like the Arctic Shield products, particularly the mitten glove system. Also use the Heat Exchange mask. Finally, wool is your friend.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Arctic Shield bibs...they are a tad noisy but very warm.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pj234

I amalways cold. Have accumulated a bunch of products over the years that I mostly like and mostly work to keep you warm. You have to adjust to the temperature. The best invention, however, is . . . the Heater Body Suit.

Kept hearing good reviews but looks nerdy and costs too much to try out. Bought one on sale this past Spring. Used it this fall. Coldest temp so far 16 degrees. Sat for four hours. I was not comfortable. I was cozy warm! I LOOOOVE it. I dress lightly. Easy to walk. Easy to carry. Light. Not too bulky. Akward to get on. Need a little practice. Works great.

Also like the Arctic Shield products, particularly the mitten glove system. Also use the Heat Exchange mask. Finally, wool is your friend.

this is why i like WOOL blanket i got at WOOLRICH FOR 21 DOLLARS THAT WAS OVER 80 DOLLARS.

i cut a round hole in middle and it hangs down over my legs and i can move around in it.

i look like JERAMEYA JOHNSON in that

Quick Reply: Secret to Keeping Warm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.