Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Problems with trapping

Old 10-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Problems with trapping

I have a lease in Archer County and it's LOADED with hogs. WE have pictures of them in our feeders where you can't count them and they come in every night and sometimes during the day. I put up two hog traps where they are about 8 yards in diameter and are cattle panels in a circle with a trap door and a feeder in the middle. We can tell the hogs are going in there a lot because of how rooted up the ground in but I've only caught 8 little hogs on 2 seperate occasions out of 3-4 weekends that we went down there to set the trap. Is it because of us driving the Rhino close to the trap or what?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:37 PM

Default RE: Problems with trapping

How is your door triggered? i mean does it only open one way and close with a spring or do you have some kind of trip wire or something? i wouldnt think the rhino would bother them, and you may already know this, but DONT kill hogs in your trap. the other hogs will smell the blood and be very wary around it.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Problems with trapping

I don't kill them I catch them and sell them. I have a one way door with a spring and a trip wire.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Spike

Dont worry about killing hogs in your trap I have seen hogs actually eat dead hogs so a little blood is no issue
Old 01-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

First did you make the trap round with no corners. If there is a corner they will climb out of the trap. I've seen them do it personally on our small trap. We had to put a top on it. Also if they can get their nose under the door they will escape that way to. I've seen them go partially in on a spring loaded trap and let the others loose. Pigs are intelligent and learn really fast. We have our door rigged with a pin that keeps the door from opening unless you pull the pin out. The hogs had learned to use their nose to ease it up and escape.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Check the weight of your door and how it falls. Also check how it's triggered. Try putting the trigger further back away from the door. The Rhino and blood won't bother the hogs