Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

i want to get into trapping

Old 03-08-2006, 05:23 PM

Default i want to get into trapping

i really want to get into traping but i no NOTHING about it, i dont no whatyour supposed to use, whats your supposed to catch or how you do it at all.
any advice on what to do or sites that would help me get started would be greatly!!! appreciated!!
Old 03-08-2006, 05:37 PM

Default RE: i want to get into trapping

buy an issue or get a subscription to fur fish and game. they have lots of trapping info, techniques etc. listed in the magazine. they also have many trapping booksfor reasonable prices. I would also reccommend subscribing to trapper and predator caller magazine. it has invaluable information about trapping. graybeard outdoors has a trapping forum. What are you planning on trapping? hope this has helped
Old 03-08-2006, 05:38 PM

um i was planning on trapping maybe squirrels and rabbits foxes... is thats possible.. if so what kind of trap would you recommend?
also do you hide the traps under leaves?
and what food should i leave out?
Old 03-08-2006, 06:32 PM

Hey, I know what it's like to try to get started trapping, but I was lucky enough to have a friend to show me the ropes. I agree that you should check out Trapper & Predator Caller magazine, there's lots of good info in there. Also, you can try www.alanprobst.comand check out his trapping forum, which goes through lots of different sets. Another good starter site is www.wild-about-trapping.com, they have descriptions of sets and even some diagrams. But for an idea-- with the squirrels and rabbits-- even fox if you have one that's big enough, you can use a live trap. The only problem I've ever had with live traps was that the animal might rub off some of it's fur, which makes it virtually worthless. With a live trap you will want to cover all of the wiring of the trap, for two reasons- one, so the animal can't see the trap, and two, so the animal can't FEEL the trap. Bait for rabbits can be lettuce, carrots, cabbage... for squirrels- peanut butter, but don't be surprised if a coon gets your trap! For fox, slightly tainted (rotten) meat will work... otherwise bacon grease, fish, even some leftover steak from dinner. Another key hint... it's all about LOCATION. You'll never catch anything without the proper trap placement, so make sure to do some scouting. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2006, 07:34 PM

ty alot, you helped me get started!
Just one more question, what trap would you recommend for foxes... and if i can use it for foxes, can i also use it for racoon and rabbits and squirrels?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:21 PM

you dig a hole in the dirt the size and depth of the trap. then you pack the dirt tightly around the trap so it wont move but dont put dirt under the pan or trigger. blazing barrels is right, trapping is all about location. good traps for fox are 1.5 coilsprings. fox urine works for fox sets but buy it from a trapping company. dont buy the deer hunting stuff, its not from wild foxes. welcome to trapping. hope you get hooked like I did!
Old 03-09-2006, 10:20 AM

I reccomend going to this web site: www.trapperman.com And, I have used the Tinks red fox urine with good sucess.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:43 PM

I'm glad I could help. 24/7 is right with the 1.5 double coilsprings, they are a good trap, they can be used for raccoon too, but with coon you have to make sure to either have a kill setup, or check your trap frequently, at least once a day (which is the requirement in most states), because they like to chew their feet off. For fox try using what I said before, or get a good lure from a supplier, they all work well. For coon's try to get something that is a strong call lure, and if you want to avoid catching anything else but coon's in the trap, make it a sweet lure, they like anise oil or peanut butter a lot.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:10 PM

ive had good luck with coons using a dirthole set with a marshmallow in the hole that has been dipped in liquid smoke (liquid hickory seasoning).
Old 03-10-2006, 06:38 PM

http://fishgut.proboards25.com/index.cgi?

Best trapper forum I have been to yet. Tons of info for the new and old trapper

Quick Reply: i want to get into trapping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.