Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 The answer to canine trapping scent problems! >

The answer to canine trapping scent problems!

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

The answer to canine trapping scent problems!

Old 10-26-2003, 07:41 PM

Default The answer to canine trapping scent problems!

I believe I have found the answer to scent-free canine sets: Scent Killer. This is only my 3rd year trapping, and up until the last couple weeks, I' d never caught a canine. I thought my problem was probably the amount of human scent that I was leaving at the sets. I have seen fox tracks approach, circle downwind at 10 feet, and leave. I was trying to be careful with my scent, without being obsessive, but it was difficult. And still no canines.
One day I was trying to figure out how on earth to have a scent free set, when it hit me. Scent Killer! The stuff I use for deer hunting. I took a bottle out the next day. After making my sets, I would spray the entire trap bed, and the area I was standing on down with Scent Killer. Right off, I caught a lot of skunks. I wanted to get rid of the skunks that were ruining my good fox sets. I made a dirt hole in a sorta-good location for the sole purpose of catching those pesky skunks. I was totally careless with my scent. As I was finishing the set, I decided to spray it down with Scent Killer, just in case a fox happened by. Two days later, I had a fox. A few days after that, a coyote (that managed to jack the stake and get away- he was in a #1 coilspring with a 15 inch stake. It didn' t stand a chance).

Anyway, the stuff worked. Has anybody else ever tried this? I' d be interested in hearing what y' all think.

-Spike Buck
Old 10-29-2003, 08:59 PM

Default RE: The answer to canine trapping scent problems!

Yet more results using this technique: I caught another fox today. Like I said, until a couple weeks ago, I had never caught a canine. Using Scent Killer, I' ve caught three. I' d like to hear if anybody else has tried this (or will try it). Tell me what you think.

-Spike Buck
Old 10-30-2003, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you may be on to something. Never used myself when setting my snares. Have always just boiled all my snares/traps to rid of scent, then rubber gloved everything while setting. May have to try. Are you buying or making the scent killer?.There is a great recipe for making it yourself that DOES work. I' ve been using it bowhunting and have never been winded when had it on. The recipe is: 2 qts hydrogen peroxide,2 qts " distilled" water, 2 boxes baking soda. Mix all together,stir alot, let sit for 2 days stiring every so often. You' ll find that some of the soda will settle, but not to worry about it.Bottle it(gallon milk jug) and let sit 1 week before using. This is EXTREMELY cheap to make(bout $4/gallon) compared to buying it for $5 for a few ounces. It REALLY works also.Steve
Old 10-30-2003, 08:07 PM

Well, so far I' ve just been using the stuff I buy for deer hunting; I' ll be sure to make some when I get a chance. Today, I put in a couple sets without gloves on, and I had touched my bait before touching the traps. Tomorrow, I' m taking some scent killer down, and I' ll spray the sets down. This is mainly an experiment to see if my theory works. If I catch a fox in one of these sets after spraying them down, I' m sold.

-Spike Buck
Old 11-03-2003, 08:00 PM

Caught another coyote yesterday. He pulled out ([:@] I' m getting bigger traps...). Anyway, I had left scent all over, so I sprayed it down with Scent Killer. Got him the second night.

-Spike Buck