Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Question

Old 12-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question

[:@]In a previous post I stated that over the weekend I took my daughter hunting and I shot a hog that weighed in at around 600lbs. I shoot the hog around 10:15 am, and by the time the guides had cleaned and capped it was 1:30pm. Saturday was a warm day and nothing was done to cool the meat. I was left hanging outside and they cut the hide off and the very last thing they did was to gut it. Well I took the meat too the processor and he called me today and stated that the hams were spoiled from not being cooled quickly and he stated that the rest of it was probably not safe to eat. I paid $600 (To me ALOT of money) to "hunt" a hog, and I was/am a little pissed that over 250#'s of meat went bad. I called up to the ranch and his (the owner) response was well we provide a walkin cooler and you should have put the meat in their for two days. I live 100 miles away, several of the employees said just put ice around it, the meat will be fine. The owner's final piece of the response was I want you to be satisfied, what do you expext to come of this? What would you guys expect?

Thanks
Jake
Old 12-11-2007, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question

i would expect some meat.......at the very least.....why didnt they tell you about the walkin while you were there ? i usually keep miine on ice, but no more than a few days and i'm constantly checking it.....
Old 12-11-2007, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry that you got ripped off. Sounds like that hog hunting ranchblew it badly. i would expect 250 pounds of hog meat.

When you kill a hog in hot weather it absolutely must be field dressed and cooled as quickly as possible. ihunt hogs all year around and have killed hogs when the temperature was near 100 degrees: Never had one spoil. When the temperature isover 80, you have about 2 hours to get the hog cooled or it will spoil. On the way home or to the processer,buy some ice and pack the body cavity and packice around the outside of the animal.If the hogwill fit, put it into the pickup box along with a lot of ice.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

Sorry that you got ripped off. Sounds like that hog hunting ranchblew it badly. i would expect 250 pounds of hog meat.

When you kill a hog in hot weather it absolutely must be field dressed and cooled as quickly as possible. ihunt hogs all year around and have killed hogs when the temperature was near 100 degrees: Never had one spoil. When the temperature isover 80, you have about 2 hours to get the hog cooled or it will spoil. On the way home or to the processer,buy some ice and pack the body cavity and packice around the outside of the animal.If the hogwill fit, put it into the pickup box along with a lot of ice.
10-4!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put at least part of the blame on the hunter. If you knew it was too warm, you should have taken care of your own meat especially if no one else was. I don't know what you should expect from the ranch in way of "restitution", but I don't see that you have much ground to stand on. If you really want to show them, don't go back.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

see if you can get a discount on another hunt he may hand that over alot easer that anything else
Old 12-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Spike

Well wow I would be PISSED!! I went on a "canned" hog hunt back in sept. and it was warm me and my dad both shot hogs at about 9:30am our "guide" took care of the rest pretty much, gutted hung and cooled our meat till we left at about 1pm and we drove for about 3 hours wit them on ice and the a/c on right to our butcher. now from what I learned talking to the guide at the ranch , they shot a hog that was HUGE like 1000lbs, and had to burry it because all the meat was bad, told us that the best eating was a sow or "cut" male around 250lbs.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:26 AM

Don't listen to Retrieverman... you should get something. Its the guides job to field dress 'AND' cool the meat. They knew they had a walkin' and did nothing about it. You will probably have a hard time getting meat out of them. I would try for a refund. Me I would go for a full refund and I wouldn't go back.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't want to jump on the band wagon and beat up some more. At least you got a trophy hog out of the deal, that's good, if your into that sort of thing. Now as for me, I wouldn't eat a hog that big anyway. Big hogs I leave for the buzzards, under 150 pounds I cut up immediately and put on ice. I never gut a hog unless, it's a real small onethat I intend to cook whole.
I guess you live and learn.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dawn Stalker

Don't listen to Retrieverman... you should get something. Its the guides job to field dress 'AND' cool the meat. They knew they had a walkin' and did nothing about it. You will probably have a hard time getting meat out of them. I would try for a refund. Me I would go for a full refund and I wouldn't go back.
I did not say that it wasn't the guides "job" to take care of the hog, but if they weren't going to do it, the responsibility falls to the hunter to see after his own trophy.

If it was up to me, I would not offer or agree to any kind of refund since you did kill a hog, but I would offer some meat to replace what was lost. I don't believe they necessarily "owe" you anything after a successful hunt, but if you can extort a little something, go for it.

Quick Reply: Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.