Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Need some questions answered about hogs >

Need some questions answered about hogs

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Need some questions answered about hogs

Old 04-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need some questions answered about hogs

Think twice about feeding them or baiting them, this will attract hogs and you will more than likely hurt your cause. Once they are there, there's little hope in totally erradicating them. A sow can go into heat 24 hours after giving birth! Your best bet is to shoot every hog that you see every time you see one. By not placing "bait or food" out for them (not giving them a special reason to visit your property) and shooting them every time you see them, you will limit their presence. Trust me, I'm in central Florida and if you put food or bait out you will increase the # of hogs! By shooting them you will take some out while running off others. When you go scouting or for a walk, or turkey hunting, carry a gun or some buck shot and shoot them and at them. I know you don't want to shoot at a hog first thing in the morning when you are turkey hunting, but do you want to see more hogs? It may be worth shooting!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TxStarr

With a boar (of any size) you want to castrate him asap.
I plan on castrating him alright, with my .270! As soon as turkey season is over, which is April 22, I am going on an extensive hog hunt. I'll take everyones advice and try to take out the sow first. I don't want those things on my place.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: strutnbuck

Think twice about feeding them or baiting them, this will attract hogs and you will more than likely hurt your cause. Once they are there, there's little hope in totally erradicating them. A sow can go into heat 24 hours after giving birth! Your best bet is to shoot every hog that you see every time you see one. By not placing "bait or food" out for them (not giving them a special reason to visit your property) and shooting them every time you see them, you will limit their presence. Trust me, I'm in central Florida and if you put food or bait out you will increase the # of hogs! By shooting them you will take some out while running off others. When you go scouting or for a walk, or turkey hunting, carry a gun or some buck shot and shoot them and at them. I know you don't want to shoot at a hog first thing in the morning when you are turkey hunting, but do you want to see more hogs? It may be worth shooting!

I think I'll take your advice. I don't want to give them more reasons to hang around. If I can at least take the sow out I will be happy. I would like to get one of the small ones and cook whole. My turkey season ends in a couple of weeks, so I will probably wait til then to start dealing with them. Thanks toeveryone for the advice. I'll let ya'll know if I'm successful.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:33 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

If you just want to eradicate them shoot the sow first and leave her there. Sit and wait, the shoats will eventually show back up to see where she is. I would recommend shooting her and then getting in close and waiting with a shotgun. You should be able to get most of the little ones that way. The boar will leave if no sows around or you can shoot him later. They are loaners and won't attract other pigs, leave him for last.

We catch and tie hogs and when hunting all day we leave the tied pigs in the shade and then go gather them up when there is a break in the action. The smaller pigs are almost always standing next to the sow tied up when we go back to get them.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:52 PM

All these guys are right about taking that sow out. Do it if you can. Also, if you would like some help, I live in Claiborne Parish. Just send a PM. I'm a retired LEO with nothing to shoot at.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:24 AM

If you don't want to bait them to shoot maybe set up a area were you can bait for a week and then set a trap and catch them all at one time. Let me know if you have any other questions because i'm a few hours away inLafayette. Take care
Old 04-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Spike

Best way to attract pigs is to feed them. Your pigs and every other pig in the area will show up to eat. Piglets become sexually mature in less then year so get them and the sow quick.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:06 PM

If youdon't want to see any wild pigs while turkey hunting, I suggest you do your hunting on public lands in California. I have tried tohunthogs on public land in California and while I have seenturkeys during these hunts, I am beginning to think I have a better chance of seeing Bigfoot than I do of ever seeinga wild boar on public lands here.

Caldoc