HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need some questions answered about hogs
Old 04-12-2007, 08:57 AM
superstrutter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some questions answered about hogs

ORIGINAL: strutnbuck

Think twice about feeding them or baiting them, this will attract hogs and you will more than likely hurt your cause. Once they are there, there's little hope in totally erradicating them. A sow can go into heat 24 hours after giving birth! Your best bet is to shoot every hog that you see every time you see one. By not placing "bait or food" out for them (not giving them a special reason to visit your property) and shooting them every time you see them, you will limit their presence. Trust me, I'm in central Florida and if you put food or bait out you will increase the # of hogs! By shooting them you will take some out while running off others. When you go scouting or for a walk, or turkey hunting, carry a gun or some buck shot and shoot them and at them. I know you don't want to shoot at a hog first thing in the morning when you are turkey hunting, but do you want to see more hogs? It may be worth shooting!

I think I'll take your advice. I don't want to give them more reasons to hang around. If I can at least take the sow out I will be happy. I would like to get one of the small ones and cook whole. My turkey season ends in a couple of weeks, so I will probably wait til then to start dealing with them. Thanks toeveryone for the advice. I'll let ya'll know if I'm successful.