Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Need some questions answered about hogs >

Need some questions answered about hogs

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Need some questions answered about hogs

Old 04-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need some questions answered about hogs

I own land in LA. and for as long as I have owned it I have never had hogs, that is until now. I was turkey hunting this past weekend and heard what I thought were turkeys scratching in the leaves. I crawled up close to where the noise was and to my surprise there were 5 piglets, 1 big sow, and a huge bruiser of a boar. I was kind of shocked. I hunt ducks, deer, and turkey. I have never even been hog hunting. I want them off my property. I don't want them to multiply and hurt my deer population. One question is, what can I put out to really attract them? I know I can put out corn, but is there something that can really enhance the corn? I want to kill all of them. Another question is, would the big boar be worth cleaning and eating? I know the piglets would be good and tender. The sow would probably be good too. Anybody want to swap a turkey hunt for a hog hunt? You can take all seven if you want. Seriously, I want them gone. The only thing I know to do is toput corn out in front of one of my stands and wait. I would estimate the sow at being easily over 200 pounds and the boar over 300.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need some questions answered about hogs

N.E. LA. and don't use hog dogs?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't hunt hogs. Even if I did I wouldn't use dogs anyway. Don't want dogs running through my land, for deer or hogs. Are the boars worth eating?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

You have a problem. Once started in an area they are almost impossible to eradicate. Once or twice being shot atand the mature hogsgo nocturnal. Hog Wild Beast Beast by Evolved Habitatswill draw them like a magnet. The illustration on the back of the bag isno bull. The hogs will dig a crater to get to the stuff. Sows can have a litter of pigs every 3 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days, so they will proliferate quickly. She will come into estrus within a few weeks of having a litter. Take her out first! She will be good eating. The boar may or may not come back after you take the sowout but he would be pretty gamey eating anyhow. He will probably leave in search of another sow. The shoats probably will keep coming back to the bait site if they've gotten accustomed to it and you can sometimes get two or three at one time. By maintaining the bait site and putting up a trail camera on it you can get an idea of how many hogs you have migrating onto your property. These probably aren't the only ones in the area. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:15 PM

This is true, you probably have a lot more than 7 hogs on your property.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:32 PM

I live in Hawaii and if this was here we would either trap the area or run dogs through it. With a little hunting pressure you'll find the pigs will almost completely desert your property. You say there werent any hogs in the area until recently. You better be ready for a whole lot of those things in a few years.

If you set up a big corral style trap you could catch all 7 in one go, then throw them into a pen and fatten them up. Wait for the babies to get about 50-60lbs for the bbq, boar is still quality meat if it's prepared correctly. Pulled pork style sandwiches are great. Here's a great recipe for all you guys to try...It's called Kalua pork. This is the lazy man's way of making an imu and burying the whole pig with banana stalks and ti leaf wrapping it on red hot lava rocks. Get a covered pan, throw chunks of pork and put a few cups of water in. Add 2 or 3 capfuls of liquid smoke and whatever else you want I usually just cook it like this. I've added pineapple chunks before and had good luck. Cook at about 300-350 for as long as possible...about 5-6 hours is a good time. You may have to add water once or twice.

Another option is put bait in front of your stand and get them with bow and arrow. They usually dont spook from the shot too bad. Get the sow first.

Another option
Old 04-11-2007, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: EvBouret

I live in Hawaii and if this was here we would either trap the area or run dogs through it. With a little hunting pressure you'll find the pigs will almost completely desert your property. You say there werent any hogs in the area until recently. You better be ready for a whole lot of those things in a few years.

If you set up a big corral style trap you could catch all 7 in one go, then throw them into a pen and fatten them up. Wait for the babies to get about 50-60lbs for the bbq, boar is still quality meat if it's prepared correctly. Pulled pork style sandwiches are great. Here's a great recipe for all you guys to try...It's called Kalua pork. This is the lazy man's way of making an imu and burying the whole pig with banana stalks and ti leaf wrapping it on red hot lava rocks. Get a covered pan, throw chunks of pork and put a few cups of water in. Add 2 or 3 capfuls of liquid smoke and whatever else you want I usually just cook it like this. I've added pineapple chunks before and had good luck. Cook at about 300-350 for as long as possible...about 5-6 hours is a good time. You may have to add water once or twice.

Another option is put bait in front of your stand and get them with bow and arrow. They usually dont spook from the shot too bad. Get the sow first.

Another option
[What a coincidence. We're half a world apart and cook pig almost the way. We quarter the hog, remove the shoulder and put it under the rib section, season heavily, then wrap each quarter seperately with heavy aluminum foil. Grill at 300 degrees for6 or 7 hours, open the top of the foil, sauce it down and grill for another 45 minutes to let the sauce brown. Wonderful eating./quote]
Old 04-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

The boar may be worth eating. If it has a strong smell when you kill it quarter it and put it in a cooler full of ice water. Drain and refill the cooler every day for 4-5 days and the meat should be ok. Kill that sow ASAP!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I have land in Turkey Creek. I have not hunted it in years, but it was eat up with pine rooters. Hate to tell you this, but you will never get rid of them. Ive had them on my land as long as ive owned it, and that has been over 20 years.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:16 PM

We hunt with dogs and mules (have you ever tried to keep up wth dogs running?) and have never had a problem with eating any of the meat. They will run them out of the area for a while but I promise the pesky things will come back. With a boar (of any size) you want to castrate him asap. I would definately take the sow out NOW and start working on the smaller ones -- they reach reproduction age FAST! Sadly, you will probably never get rid of them completely.

As for attracting them, we have put corn in diesel and let it saok a few days before we put it out. We have also put it in water and let it sour before we put it out. Both are disgusting but attracts the hogs like crazy.

The small ones are wonderful BBQed whole!!!

Quick Reply: Need some questions answered about hogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.