Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Two questions I need answered >

Two questions I need answered

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Two questions I need answered

Old 04-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Two questions I need answered

I've been trying to gettwo questions answered.
First, for practicing with broadheads (Montecs), would you practice with your hunting broadheads and then sharpen them or pay the extra money for the pre-season practice broadheads?
Second, when an arrow is on the rest at launch position, where should it be located in relation to the berger button?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:32 AM

Default RE: Two questions I need answered

1.) If you have some good Arkansas whetstones just resharped the ones you practice with, Montecs are easy to resharpen.
2.) Your shaft should run through the center of the berger hole but if it's a bit above to get fletch clearance that's fine.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, Kodiak.
My arrow now sits centered on the berger button and I have no clearance issues It was set with the bottom of the arrow 3/16" above the top of it. (I had issues)

Old 04-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

1.) If you have some good Arkansas whetstones just resharped the ones you practice with, Montecs are easy to resharpen.
2.) Your shaft should run through the center of the berger hole but if it's a bit above to get fletch clearance that's fine.
ditto. I've never had to raisethe arrowabove center for clearance, although I guess that could be a problem with some bows or rests.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have G5 strikers and slick tricks and decided to sacrifice a couple of each to practice with then I will replace the blades on them for hunting. I know if you aren't using replaceable blade BH's then you will have to resharpen but I think these two are excellent replaceable blade broadheads. I have no experience with them on animals but have listened to the opinions of those that do.

I have been only using the strikers on my current arrows up to this point but they shoot the same as my field points. Once I get my new arrows I will try them both on those.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:00 PM

I have a bunch of different heads - both fixed and mechanical - but the G-5 Montec is my primary broadhead. The practice blade was harder to pull out of the Block 4X4 target - and it costs the same as a regular Montec. So I wouldn't waste my money on the practice broadheads in this instance.

The diamond stones really shine for sharpening the Montec - even though the regulararkansas stones will work.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, there's another question. when you shoot a fixed blade into a broadhead target and it doesn't protrude out the other side, how do you get it out? Just pull it out, or push it on through, unscrew it, and pull the arrow out? I know it sounds stupid, but I need to know.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the rinehart 18-1 and just pull the broad head out. It's pretty easy, I don't use an arrow puller.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:12 PM

I have been pulling mine back out. It didn't take more than about 100 shots to leave a tennis ball size hole in the middle of the one side of the block target I have dedicated to broadhead testing. Maybe I should have tried to push them through and unscrewed the points . Seriously, it appears to require quite a bit of force to push a shaft deeper into the target - at least on the Block series.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The yellow jacket is the best broadhead target that i've ever used.I had the block and was shooting thru after a couple of weeks,but you can take the block target apart and re-stack to get the good material back in the middle of the target.For my money i'll stick to the YELLOW JACKET.A good pile of sand will last you forever and not harm your arrows.

Quick Reply: Two questions I need answered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.