Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Got my CHL, now for the hard part.... >

Got my CHL, now for the hard part....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Got my CHL, now for the hard part....

Old 04-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Got my CHL, now for the hard part....

Which handgun do I want? With soooo many choices, what's a man to do? I think I've got it narrowed down some. I really like the looks of a 1911. Which brand, I really don't know. When I took the test, I used a Para in .45 ACP. Nice, very nice. I also shot a Para in 9mm, and it was a pleasure to shoot also. But I've also looked at Kimber, Smith and Wesson, and Springfield. Any thoughts? But then I'm also looking at Springfield XD. Their ugliness is rivaled only by Glock, but they sure feel good in the hands.

Also, what caliber? I like the power of the .45, but 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper. About $6 per box cheaper. Or should I compromise and get the .40 S&W? I look forward to hearing everyone's opinion, so if you have one, by all means share it!

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 04-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Got my CHL, now for the hard part....

I carry a Glock model 23 in 40 s&w it is easy to conceal and more than enough firepower if needed I tried alot of different handguns but the Glock won it is very simple to disassemble to does not have alot of parts anyone with any knowledge about guns can take it apart and reassemble it with ease. The 1911 style guns seem complicated to me. I have alot of friends in law enforcement they all carry Glocks for on and off duty also there are alot of people selling enhancements for them I would recommend the Glock to anyone wanting a reliable carry weapon but that is just my opinion I hope this helps chad
Old 04-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have carried a Ruger 45 auto for many years. I also sometimes carry a 4 inch 357 Mag revolver.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest research into the Kimber. They are a bit pricey, but when you purchase a Kimber, you're buying a custom shop handgun. They are standard with all the little goodies that cost much more as upgrades with other handguns. They also have quite a selection to choose from and all with a lifetime warranty. I have the CDP II as a concealment firearm. Just an awesome piece with no upgrades needed.
Good Hunting....
Old 04-16-2005, 09:34 PM

GET A SIG!

Check out the Sig P220 (45ACP), or you can get the Sig 239 or 229 in either 9mm or
40S&W.
My preference is the Sig 239 in 9mm. Very good for CCW, and has proved to date to
be very accurate, and extremely reliable.

Sig website: http://www.sigarms.com

Sig Forum: http://sigforum.com/
Old 04-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the replies, everone. I forgot to mention that I got my CHL mainly to carry the gun in my truck, so size and concealment aren't that much of an issue for me. In Texas, your allowed to carry a handgun in the truck going to the range and back, or if your "travelling".

The main uses will be for punching paper and occaisional varmints. Nothing a .22lr probably wouldn't do, but hey, why not use a real gun?[8D] Also, the Second Amendment Student Association is thinking about sponsoring a few little shooting contests, and maybe taking on the Tech Law Military Association next fall. So I would like something that would keep me on an equal (or slightly better) playing field. Sorry I forgot to mention these details earlier, I forget not everyone can read my mind.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

A lot of people make a mistake and buy a gun that is to big to conceal and to heavy to carry. I got a Sig P232 380 ACP that holds 7+1 rounds. It is a lot lighter than the full size guns and I can carry it in an inside the pants holster and you can't even tell I am wearing it.

If it is for your truck than a 9mm, 40 S&W or a 45 ACP would be better. I personally like the double action autos better than single action for protection. I would carry my Ruger P89 9mm if I was going to leave it in my truck.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had my CHL since the first year in Texas and have used it for truck carry mainly myself. I am currently packing a Glock 23 in my truck, and when I NEED one on me, a S&W 637 38 special. I have carried a variety of guns since I got my license from a Browning Hi Power to a Sig P228 to Colt 1911 to a Glock 17 to a Walther PPK to my current combo. However, my MAIN truck gun is a Benelli Super 90 with 00 buckshot. It is not very concealable but for truck carry who cares. Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:29 AM

Many great replies. One thing is you have to carry it in case its needed. That may represent size or how to carry and conceal as an issue. You'll note that many, including me, carry a few guns just depending.

My main gun is a Kimber Ultra Compact in 45 acp. My wife and I have matching versions. Do NOT get a match grade pistol. You need one that functions all the time and accuracy is somewhat secondary(especially since most fights average out at 21 feet or so or less). I have a small 380 that I"ll carry if I have to but prefer the 45s.

The gun has to be comfortable in your hands also. While I prefer a 1911 clone, others dont'. While I like the Glock, it does not fit my hand well. I do like Sigs. So that is a bit personal.

Now the last thing thats very important to me, and you have to decide to you. Power. Regardless of the cost of practice ammo this is your life or the life of a loved one. Research and carry(IMHO) a round that initiates a one shot stop most of the time. IIRC that would be along the lines of 45, 357 with light bullets, and 357 Sig. You may only have one shot. Make sure it counts. I always feel week when carrying the 380. Knowing it'll do the job, but also knowing it may take some amount of time to obtain the stop required to resolve the issue.

FWIW my wife has no problem handling the 45 at all. And ammo is about 10 bucks a box vs 5-6 for 9mm. She shoots her pistol once a month about 50 rounds and thats not so expensive(plus the fact that I reload helps a ton). In the end I just cannot swallow cost as a factor in carry guns or their ammo.

Please understand the above is only my opinion and probably is not worth 2 cents.

Jeff