Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Part of the solution.....or part of the problem? >

Part of the solution.....or part of the problem?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Part of the solution.....or part of the problem?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Part of the solution.....or part of the problem?

1. What's the herd dynamics where you hunt (doe v. buck numbers & overall deer numbers)?

2. What's your preferred method of hunting (your ideology)? Trophy, only? "Opportunist" (take bucks and does)? Does, only....with the occasional buck?

3. What would be your preferred method if you had a good herd structure (buck:doe ratio was good....and deer numbers were in check)?

4. Doesyour herd dynamics affect your preferred method? Do you overlook herd dynamics and hunt "your" way?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:28 AM

Default RE: Part of the solution.....or part of the problem?

On the land we own, I practice herd management by trying to keep the ratio in check.

On other lands, I just hunt the way I want to.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

1. What's the herd dynamics where you hunt (doe v. buck numbers & overall deer numbers)?
1/3 maybe 1/4

2. What's your preferred method of hunting (your ideology)? Trophy, only? "Opportunist" (take bucks and does)? Does, only....with the occasional buck?
Trophy only
3. What would be your preferred method if you had a good herd structure (buck:doe ratio was good....and deer numbers were in check)?
As it is[:-]
4. Doesyour herd dynamics affect your preferred method? Do you overlook herd dynamics and hunt "your" way?
My way
Old 08-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was 1/4-1/6 for several years. Last season and this summer we are actually starting to see a difference and it is actually 1/1 or maybe somewhere close to 2/1.

3.5 y/oor better bucks and does that don't have spots.

I think we have deer numbers in check and the ratio balanced finally. I'd like to focus on increasing the age structure of bucks now. Letting the 2.5's go is going to be tough (especially if they are like the one I took last year) but if it's going to get any better we have to do it.

No.

[/quote]
Old 08-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is near impossible for one man with a limited amount of land to manage the buck-doe ratio. Where I do most of my hunting in Illinois, I have way more does than bucks. Sure I take almost every doe that walks past me, but I know doing so is only a very small drop in a very large bucket. As far as bucks go, I let the younger bucks walk, doing so I can only hope they get a pass from the guys hunting on other properties near me. Again, this is an almost impossible task if you don't own, or at least have execlusive access to a ton of land. Then of course there is the problem of the time that is required to really manage the land. My best farm is a little over 300 acres, only me and my two sons hunt it. We take ever doe we can. I am pretty selective on the bucks I take, I let the boys take whatever buck they want to, mostly because they don't have that many kills yet under their belts. This is only the second year hunting for my youngest boy (12), and really only the second year hunting for my oldest boy (15), breaking an arm in football two years in a row has limited his time in stand with a bow.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:41 AM

Most aspects of our herd dynamics are pretty good. Buck to doe, age structure, population, etc., so that really doesn't influence what I hunt. Other than the fact that it allows me to hunt however I want to. I hunt what I want, when I want.

What influences me the most is three hunters under my roof and only a certain amount of freezer space. Last year I donated two does to a family Iknew needed them. Priority right now is letting my boys shoot and hunt whenever they desire. The youngest desires alot. For me to shoot a buck it really has to be one I want. Other than that I am content to shoot does to feed others. My boys will get plent of meat for us. I live on the hope of that big one that may or may not materialize.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

It varies depending on the property I hunt. Some are doe only because seeing a 2.5 in those areas is like seeing Jesus doing cartwheels in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot. It don't happen often. Other areas are mature buck only until late season then does come into play because they are good spots with potential, but small so whacking does to early would likely booger it up. Other areas are opportunist areas where I will take whatever strikes my fancy at the time.

Definitely a mixed bag.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

On one property, the ratio is pretty decent, probably 4/1 does/bucks. I have a new piece to hunt that I haven't even seen yet (from the inside) so I'm not sure what the deal on that one is.

Trophy buck and a couple does are the ideal. I do have one place that is doe only, where I hunt with a friend of mine. We're still trying to double up on camera.

If the ratio was good and numbers were good, I would hold out for a trophy every year and take the appropriate number of does. Much like alot of the pros do it (Drury, Lakosky, Gregory, Kisky) on their home farms.

In IL, I have yet to have the same property for two seasons, so I haven't had a chance to do much managing at this point. The new property I have, the woman bought as an investment and plans to keep it for a long time, so I'm hoping it kind of becomes "my spot." If that is the case, I'll be able to operate a little more. Not sure what the surrounding land owners do, but I can find that out.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

It is near impossible for one man with a limited amount of land to manage the buck-doe ratio. Where I do most of my hunting in Illinois, I have way more does than bucks. Sure I take almost every doe that walks past me, but I know doing so is only a very small drop in a very large bucket.
I respectfully disagree with this. I have journal entries from 2003-2007 on the 130 acre family property we have showing that it is possible. My best bud (Jawshooter) has the same thing on his property in NY with journal entries to back it up. Both of these properties 5-7 years ago were producing 1/4+ buck/doe ratios. Keep in mind, you have to pull fawns completely out of the equation. Now both of them are producing 1/1 or even slightly more bucks than does. It's possible, it's just a lot of work and discipline.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Dominant Buck

It's possible, it's just a lot of work and discipline.
Thanks for that, Matt. I can attest to the "work" part. I am working on the "discipline".

To "me" this means foregoing (for the most part) my "best" opportunity at bucks and concentrating on the "work" part (doe reduction). THIS aspect of the "discipline" is toughest, for ME. Passing on the little bucks, isn't.

Quick Reply: Part of the solution.....or part of the problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.