HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Got my CHL, now for the hard part....
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 09:29 AM
rost495

Default RE: Got my CHL, now for the hard part....

Many great replies. One thing is you have to carry it in case its needed. That may represent size or how to carry and conceal as an issue. You'll note that many, including me, carry a few guns just depending.

My main gun is a Kimber Ultra Compact in 45 acp. My wife and I have matching versions. Do NOT get a match grade pistol. You need one that functions all the time and accuracy is somewhat secondary(especially since most fights average out at 21 feet or so or less). I have a small 380 that I"ll carry if I have to but prefer the 45s.

The gun has to be comfortable in your hands also. While I prefer a 1911 clone, others dont'. While I like the Glock, it does not fit my hand well. I do like Sigs. So that is a bit personal.

Now the last thing thats very important to me, and you have to decide to you. Power. Regardless of the cost of practice ammo this is your life or the life of a loved one. Research and carry(IMHO) a round that initiates a one shot stop most of the time. IIRC that would be along the lines of 45, 357 with light bullets, and 357 Sig. You may only have one shot. Make sure it counts. I always feel week when carrying the 380. Knowing it'll do the job, but also knowing it may take some amount of time to obtain the stop required to resolve the issue.

FWIW my wife has no problem handling the 45 at all. And ammo is about 10 bucks a box vs 5-6 for 9mm. She shoots her pistol once a month about 50 rounds and thats not so expensive(plus the fact that I reload helps a ton). In the end I just cannot swallow cost as a factor in carry guns or their ammo.

Please understand the above is only my opinion and probably is not worth 2 cents.

Jeff