Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rust

Old 10-31-2004, 11:25 AM

Default Rust

What would you guys suggest for taking off rust. My dad told me to use steel wool but that takes off blueing. Is there any thing that takes off rust but not the blueing?
Any help would be appreciated

Take-Em
Old 10-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rust

NOPE!
Old 10-31-2004, 05:56 PM
DM

The first thing i'd try is, some BP Blaster penetrateing oil. I'd wet the rust, and let the gun sit over night, keeping it wet. Then i'd wipe it off to see if the rust is gone?

"Heavy" rust will still be there, so the next thing to try is more Blaster, but this time accept some blueing loss, and take a 3" square of aluminum "crumbled" into a ball, and get after the rust soaked with Blaster!! The crumbled foil has little edges that get into the rust and lift it!!

The Alum. is softer than the steel, so you get min. damage to the blueing!! On fly in hunting trips, i always used alum foil and bacon grease! It works a lot better than you'd think!!!

You may have to wipe it off with a cloth, and use more blaster and foil to get all the rust off!!

Give it a try, it works waaaaay better than you would think it would!!

Drilling Man
Old 10-31-2004, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your best bet is 4 ought (oooo)steel wool and WD40.Saturate the SW with the WD40. Very lightly rub the rusted area. Yes some of the blue will come off.Don't use any of the rust remover products. It will take the blue right off since Bluing is a rusting process.If it's heavy rust you'll probably have pitting.Surface rust will clean up fairly well.Once you have the rust removed wipe the gun down with RIG or other rust preventive. Rebluing has gotten very expensive.Usually not worth the money. Use the gun and don't worry about a little missing bluing or surface rust.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 11-01-2004, 07:22 PM

4-Ought (or Ultra Fine) steel wool and Break-Free will remove light to medium rust without hurting blueing. Removing heavy rust with pitting means reblueing. Try the steel wool and Break-Free. Might not get it all but may get enough to be acceptable. Don't use any coarser than 4-ought.