Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Single shot rifles >

Single shot rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Single shot rifles

Old 10-18-2004, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Single shot rifles

Anybody here have any recommendations for a single shot rifle? I've been thinking about getting one for a while now for both range shooting and hunting whitetails. I've heard/read good things about the TC Encore and Ruger 1; any personal insights on these or others? I'm thinking of a flat shooting, mild recoil caliber like a 25/06 Rem, 270 Win, 280 Rem, 284 Win.

I've never needed a quick follow up shot on game yet, and even so, loading another round in a single shot isn't THAT slow of a process. Just looking for opinions. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Single shot rifles

To me, comparing the TC encore and the Ruger No.1 is like apples and oranges. Before I begin, I'm going to throw a plug in for the H&R/NEF Handi-rifle, it's much more comprable to the Encore, similarly priced and has the bbl swapping capabilities, and however you're guaranteed a perfect mating in every bbl since you send them in to get bbls fitted to YOUR receiver, not just buying one and hoping....

Personally, I LIKE the No.1 better, but prefer the Encore or handi-rifle. The No.1 is an amazing gun, gorgeous and anything with a lever has to be good, but it's twice the price as the others, and probably only slightly more accurate if at all. It's typically more shootable for people because it's shaped, weighted, and balanced similarly to a bolt gun, while the break actions are entirely different animals.

I prefer the break actions because they're light, and cheap. Basically, I don't want to pay the same price or carry the same weight for a gun that holds one round, has no magazine and took no development for feeding as I would for a bolt gun...it just seems to reason that a single shot SHOULD be smaller and handier than a bolt gun.

I've had Encore's in the past, now I've only got H&R/NEF handi's in single shot breakers, I've got two No.1's left, one a .30-06 international (LONG forend) and the sporter .45-70 stainless laminate. I keep the No.1's mostly for nostalgia, the NEF's actually get hunted considerably more.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wish the above post was closer to the truth, PRICE WISE. The Encore costs at least twice as much or more than an NEF. Of the rifles that we are talking about here, I also prefer the No l for looks and weight. However I also would pick the H&R as a hunter and economical quality gun. I have a 44 Mag, 45-70 and 280 in the Handi Rifles. All are very good shooter. I also had a 223 Synthetic stocked 223,30-30 243 and 30-06 in the NEF's. I Have an Encore in 45-70 as well and plan to add another barrel or two. For me the best thing about the Encore is the available barrels and calibers. Its almost impossible to find a barrel and caliber combo that is not available including calibers that are most likely only avalable in the Encore. I have had several No l's as well but don't right now. I Love single shots and have a few NEF'S in 12 Ga. All in All, another vote for the NEF's
Old 10-18-2004, 05:29 PM

NEF
Old 10-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

I like the NEF rifles too. Good bang for the "buck"
Old 10-18-2004, 07:14 PM

I'm an Encore fan myself, Have one in .308. Great gun. As to barrels, nothing compares to the Encore for barrels. Everything from .17HM2 to the .416 Rigby. Including shotgun barrels, 12 guage, 20 gauge & 28 guage. http://www.bullberry.com makes some excellent custom barrels with guarnteed accuracy.

I also like the NEF/H&R, good guns also. Just an Encore fan.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks people; that gives me some intersting things to thing about. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a .270 or .308 but I'm not sure if I'll go with a single shot (or which one!). I'm going to a gun show this weekend so hopefully I can check them out and see what you guys are talking about.

More suggestions welcome!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

I am no fan of Browning but if money isnt an object I would reccomend the Browning 1885 Hi Wall or Low wall. It's John Brownings first gun design and IMHO it's the classiest over the counter single shot available. You can quite a few variations/calibers. I like the 28 inch octagon barrels on the Hi Walls, you get a little extra fps with it and the AOL is the same as a bolt gun. All of them have better than average wood on them.
Here is a picture of one of mine, it wears a Leupold 6.5x20 Vari X III.

doubleA

Old 10-18-2004, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

James...you are pretty well correct about the prices of the Encore and the Handi-rifle, although double is usually the difference, and no more...Typically the Handi-rifle runs $130-180, while the Encore runs around $250-300, pretty even price range really, considering both of them cost relatively nothing. They aren't dollar for dollar, but they're both LOW budget guns (great quality though). Some of the Handi-rifles or the Buffalo classic or target model do indeed stretch the prices up into the range of the Encores.

Compare that with a BOTTOM dollar of $600 (on sale) for a No.1, that narrows the "difference" in the two break actions pretty well. You've got two budget minded guns and one pricey gun, not three guns over a spread.

Granted, prices aren't the same everywhere, and consistent prices are sometimes hard to find from store to store (i.e. local gunshop, H&R buffalo classic=$459, walmart down the street H&R buffalo classic=$291).
Old 10-18-2004, 09:49 PM

The only one I dont care for is the encore. it is compareable to the NEF and cost MUCH more(looks much better though), just not worth it to me. The brownings and #1's are in a seperate class, where looks, fit, finish, and full length barrels, true single shot rifles. whereas the others are; for lack of a better word ,single shot "carbines".

Quick Reply: Single shot rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.