Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rust Rust Rust

Old 04-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rust Rust Rust

I had alot of rust coming out of my barrel. Ask Cayugad! I showed him a pick. It is too large to upload in a post. I know I could scrub that barrel and It probablywould be fine.no matter what I do I am thinking hard about getting a GM 58cal roundball barrel. The problem with my barrel is my the last person who used it put bore butter in it and it sat for 30yrs! If I were to get a GM nothing but a good Grease or oil will touch that barrel!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rust Rust Rust

Sharp Shooter

not to cause a problem or change your thought patterns, but I have three sidehammers in the back room that have had BB in them for a year or so now - I just do not use them so there they stand... + one old shot gun. No sign of any rust in any of them. But the climate here and in the house is never very moist. If you live in a damp climate you certainly could run into problems...

My guess is that at one time or another it never got cleaned properly.

How much have you shot it? You might TRY shooting some conicals through it. Remove the regular lube (usually BB) and the lube the conicals with JB's bore paste. Do not shoot hot loads. I did that to one of my Renegade barrels that I bought off the internet, I shot 20 lead conicals through mine. I wish I could say that it polished the barrel smoothand clean for me - it didn't but it really took care of the rust problem. Then to keep the rust from occuring again - keep the bore dry... as soon as you clean it - get it dry... use some alcohol to displace water - use hot air down the barrel to insure it is dry - then lube the barrel with a VERY GOOD bore oil when the barrel is hot.

just some thoughts - i was able to salvage the old Renegade barrel enough to be a really good shooter, but the "oatmeal" looking bore still haunts mre even thought it shoots reasonalby well. But no more rust showed up...

Old 04-26-2006, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using BB for 25 years now with no problem and I have 2 guns that I haven't bothered with in a couple of years. Your post got me sceard so I just ran down and checked them and they are fine. I think your problem could come from another sorce. Mike
Old 04-26-2006, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just Run Away form Bore Butter! RUN RUN RUN SAVE YOUR GUN!! LOL
Old 04-26-2006, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

I have been using BB for 25 years now with no problem and I have 2 guns that I haven't bothered with in a couple of years. Your post got me sceard so I just ran down and checked them and they are fine. I think your problem could come from another sorce. Mike
No Mike... Bore Butter was the likely source of his rusty bore. In 25 years, you just have never made a mistake applying it -- while the prior user in this case did.

Usinggood gun oils, you can sweep away any left-over moisture in the rifling.... ie... water soluble.With thickened, non-soluble bore butter, it goes right over the top of the moisture & traps it underneath -- causing rust within days sometimes.

If not lubing conicals, throw that BB right in the garbage. Why???... because no one alive is perfect & mistakes are common with every person breathing on earth.

Posters Mike Hill and poster Roundball have been mistake-free thus far. But tomorrow is another day & your odds at maintaining that perfect score for another 25 years are not very good.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

i been using bore butter for about 5yrs....but i shot a pound of powder a year....and it gets cleaned thorough...what do you guys put in the bore that dont use bore butter???? we all heard never to use petrolium based oils...which knocks out everything i can think of.....maybe i should make the switch...being away at school it doesnt get fired from mid jan-june......cant be too safe.....thanx guys...

i wanna take a look at my buddies guns...the both have guns that came out of a flooded basement....both still fire fine! most of the time they leave them loaded between each season and store them in their attics or garages!! id like to see their bores!! they cant look like mine i know that much!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

You want a gun oil that says it prevent rust... not one that says inhibits rust.

You want a gun oil that says it either removes, eliminates, relieves, pushes out, sweeps away, absorbs, drives out moisture/water... etc.... plus may have the wording "water soluble" as describing the oil.

Note... I am talking about "inside the bore". Bore Butter can be used outside the bore/exterior metalswith good success.

I'm done here!
See Ya' on the next thread trail.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

mauser06

If you are shooting real black powder the recommendation has always been do not use a petroleum based product.

If your bores are dry and remain dry BB will not cause a problem. If you are shooting real BP you might even consider Wonder Lube 1000 - when it drys it seals - but again make sure the bore is dry. It can easily be removed with a simple wet patch. No matter which product you use if it is not an oil and you are in a humid climate - check the bore on a regular basis - even you use oil and live in a humid climate check the bore.

Bore butter left in the barrel will cause leaching if the barrel is exposed to heating and cooling on a regular basis. With heating and cooling the BB will leach into the pores and force what ever else is there out, including powder residue.

If you are going to store the barrel for a long period of time in a semi-humid to humid climate - oil it - actually grease it. When you decide to use it again clean it with boiling water - the grease is removed and you are back to clean bore.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use BreakFree CLP in my bores. And the "no petroleum based products" is a myth. The important thing is to swab any oils from the bore prior to shooting, I use alcohol for that purpose.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Ballistol is my vote. It can even be mixed with water and still is a very effective rust preventative. It also is used by the black powder guys as a patch lube so there is no compatability problem. Smells kind of funny but other than that it works well for me.

Quick Reply: Rust Rust Rust

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.