Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 scope mounting >

scope mounting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scope mounting

Old 11-22-2003, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default scope mounting

im going to be mounting a 3x9x40 scope on my ml very soon. I was just wanting to know the basics to make sure i dont mess the job up. This is the first one i will be doing on my own. Sorry for such a broad ? but i dont know enough to be more specific. THanks a lot for the help
Old 11-23-2003, 10:43 AM

Default RE: scope mounting

wvdeerhunter,

The simpliest way to answer your questions is, first, make sure you have the correct mounting bases and rings. Second, make sure the screws are tight, but do not over tighten the rings, because you may bend or damage the main tube. A lot of people like to put a dab of Loc-tite on each screw before tightening them. I personally do not use it, I don' t feel it is necessary. Also as long as you have them tighten to the manufacture specs, you should not have a problem with them coming loose or damaging your scope.

Good Luck!

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 11-23-2003, 02:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

What kind of bases and rings are you using?

If leupold style the the best way is to get a 1" dowel rod and cleanly cut two pieces about six inches long each. Place each one of these in each ring and tighten down just like a scope.

The purpose of this is to make sure that your scope rings are alligned properly and to provide you with leaverage to twist the front dovetail ring to properly line up with the rear. Never use your scope for this. The rear base will have a windage adjustment for the ring so that you may move it from side to side with a large flat head screw driver. Adjust the rings so that the dowel rods line up perfectly with each other.

When the two pieces of dowel rod line up perfectly in the center of the rings you are done.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:04 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the tips , id never heard of the dow rod trick but that sounds really good, ill give it a shot.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:53 AM

great tip on the dowel rod. what about the different bases and rings?
Old 11-26-2003, 02:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only way I know to align the rings on Weaver style bases is to use thin shims. You pretty much hope that the holes are drilled straight and every thing lines up right. That' s why I do not use them.

Brownells sells great little scope allignment bars if you want to buy a real set. They have been machined to a point so that you can be very accurate with your rings.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...DS&s=3147#3147