Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hornady light magnum SST interlocks? >

Hornady light magnum SST interlocks?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornady light magnum SST interlocks?

Old 05-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hornady light magnum SST interlocks?

I guess I should have added that I was talking about the sst bullet,I reload,Only time I tried the loaded light mag was in a 243 and I was lucky to get any of them close to the bullseye.
I use the 130 sst in my 270wsm @3250fps for hunting,shot a buck chasing a doe this past year at 70 yds with complete pass through.Same thing with a 200 gr sst in a 50 cal encore.year before shot one with the 150 gr. 30/06 @200 yds,bullet size hole going in and a hole about the size of a 50 cent piece exit hole.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:21 AM
bigcountry

Some people 2MOA is ok, and for deer hunters its just fine for 90%. But when you see those nice little clover leafs out of a gun, you expect that for all your ammo, or don't use it.

Old 05-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The SST or NBT will work fine but if your affraid of the shoulder contact than either try the bonded bullets or stick with other bullets.
Normally I place my shots behind the shoulder to prevent ruining all that shoulder meat which I make sausage out of. My only fear is that buck of a lifetime out there quartering towards me and not presenting me a clear behind the shoulder shot. In that case shoulder meat be damned. An A-frame or corelok would be the ticket in that case but I have found they don't expand a heck of a lot when you do get that classic behind the shoulder shot.

I guess I want the best of both worlds. A bullet that will expand well on a behind the shoulder shot but have enough penetrating power to get through a shoulder if I need it to. Suggestions?????
Old 05-11-2004, 08:36 AM

Todd, any of the "bonded" bullets will do this- Accubonds, Interbonds, Swift Scirocco's - a great choice for deer IMO.
That is interesting on the light mag accuracy - I shot an elk with that last year(140 interbond) from my .270-it dropped in it's tracks 120 yrds. At the range they don't seem to group well- not been a big concern for timber hunting, but I'm going to hunt some sage this fall and wanted to set up with long range cartridge. I thought Horn light mags but now you guys have me nervous 2 MOA doesn't get it done long range. I've always bought factory so now what??[]
Old 05-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

swamp, if you liked the performance of the interbond and buy factory I'd suggest looking at the 140 Accubond both Federal Premium and Winchester Supreme are loading it this year. From all reports the terminal performance seems to be equal, but I have heard a number comment on improved accuracy with Accubonds over Interbonds.

Is it for elk, deer or both?
Old 05-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

I used the sst in my sako .270 last year. I took a bull elk, a muley buck, three whitetail, six coyotes, one bobcat and numerous hogs. None of them ever took another step. I am sold on them. The have worked better than anything I have ever shot.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

texasaggie, you used a .277/130gr SST on a bull elk! Wow!!!!!! I like the bullet but it ends at deer for me, possibly in 200 gr out of a big 30 cal and even then.

If you don't mind me asking where did you hit him? What did the bullet and wound channel look like? How far?
Old 05-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Well it was the only large rifle I owned at the time I really didnt have alot of choice when I got the chance to go. I hunted in area 741 in Colorado. It was a .277 270 CAL 150 GR SST. I shot the deer at 147 yards right behind the shoulder. Then two days later I found myself within 100 yds of a satellite bull. I shot him in the base of the neck at about 75 yds. Both dropped on the spot. I knew that I needed something better than the cor-loks that I had been shooting. Before I went hunting I went down to my local shooting shop and asked them for a load that would take care of deer and elk and thats what I went home with. I know my success had everything to due to the distance I was able to take the shot. I think I have some pics of me and the deer and elk. If I can find them Ill post them at the end.

Old 05-11-2004, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Well I couldnt find the right pic I wanted to post but here is one when I was working on drying it out for the european mount. Wound channels I would say typical for the distance. Neck shot small entrance and alot of damage, blew out the other side. Heart shot I would venture to say that it exited with more shock than I am used to seeing.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

I started using the light magnum in 7mm-08 as soon as it came out and switched over to the SST when it hit the shelves. I have shot many white tail with the round at many ranges and I almost always take the upper sholder for a quick drop. I have never had a bullet blow up and in fact I have had all bullets exit the far side doing great destruction in the process.
I have to say that I don't know how it would do on larger game,but for deer I'm 100% sold!!!