Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifle Cabinet/Safe - Opinions on Fire Protection? >

Rifle Cabinet/Safe - Opinions on Fire Protection?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle Cabinet/Safe - Opinions on Fire Protection?

Old 05-06-2004, 01:11 PM

Default Rifle Cabinet/Safe - Opinions on Fire Protection?

Purchasing a gun safe and was wondering if paying the extra money for fireproofing is worth it? This would be a proper safe with multiple steel locking bolts and not a simple Homak steel cabinet.

Also does anyone have any experience with Stack-On safes? Wondering if they are any good. They seem like good value.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle Cabinet/Safe - Opinions on Fire Protection?

I can't comment on fire-proof safes but, I suppose if ya got the extra cash, it would be smart. I purchased a big, heavy Browning (non fire resistant) gun safe over 20 years ago. It's one of the best investments I've ever made. I can't imagine not having one. It's big and heavy and bolted to the wall so it won't tip with the door opening. I safely keep weapons, jewelry, important papers, etc. in it. When leaving on vacations, I've also temporarily stored other valuables in it. You won't regret the purchase.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:40 PM
bigcountry

Absolutely. I personally know two people have thier houses burn down and lost 90 year old family guns and was sick about it. I travel 50% of the time, and now have piece of mind.

Champion safes are the best bang for your buck, IMO. They got a Crown" that can withstand 1500degrees for 105 min. I don't know anyone that can beat that for under 1500dollars.

Liberty is great

National is probably the best

I got a browning a like it but wished I would have got the top of the line. And wish I got a bigger one. They list as a 14/28 gun safe, but to be honest its more like a 9/18 gunsafe unless all yours are unscoped.

Old 05-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

In today's society a gun safe is a must.You asked about fire proofing.There is actually nothing fire proof. They are fire resistant. Yes they do have different fire ratings.Anything that gets hot enough will burn.The fire resistance material is nothing more then sheetrock or a fire board.You can make your safe fire resistant putting sheetrock inside it or build a cabinet around it using a few thicknesses of sheetrock.I have a Cannon and a Liberty safe.Both are fire resistant.Will they hold up in a fire? Maybe if it's a minor fire that is extinguished quickly the content will survive. If it's a big fire and lasts for the duration chances are the contents will be ruined.The heat alone will ruin stocks and guns in general.Sure your valuables will stand a better chance being in a Fire resistant safe but nothing is 100%.I'm not saying you'll waste your money buying a fire resistant safe.It does give you allot of protection from theft and some fire protection. It's not perfect but allot better then not having any at all.If you are going to invest in a safe buy a real safe. Not a cheap cabinet that will give you little if any protection.There are so many to choose from see which one fits your needs and billfold.The Cannon series has allot better warranty then Liberty offers.BassPro has their own safe line called Redhead. They have them in all sizes and price ranges.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-06-2004, 06:01 PM

Congrats on getting the gun safe. After a couple years, even if you get one with no fire insulation, you'll wonder how you got along without it and as mentioned earlier, in today's society there is a real expectation that you can demonstrate control "in absentia" over your weapons --- its not just a theft issue, it is a liability issue. (And perhaps justly so.)

As always the answer is "it depends"....
I would get some degree of fire protection but not necessarily the highest and most expensive. If your safe is on the second floor of a two story home it will get a lot hotter in a fire than if it is in the basement so consider insulating accordingly.

Though you didn't ask for it, a few other thoughts:

1. Don't use your safe as "furniture" in plain sight for vistors to see. If thieves come knowing there is a gun safe and bring their Makita Grinder with a few cut off blades you WILL lose you guns. Be discrete with the safe, "hide" it --- caution is the better part of valor.

2. Since I hope I've convinced you not to "strut it" now you don't need a fancy finish on the safe and can buy a cheaper one and still get the insulation. The "rough finish" safes are just as strong, cheaper, and won't show a scratch. [Even if they weren't just as strong, if the thieves come unprepared they won't get it open.]

3. I recommend a Sargent and Greenleaf tumbler set.

4. If you are getting a "medium" (400lbs or so) or bigger, then you have a second problem --- those heavier safes are dangerous, if they get away from you (smooth, no handholds, big, cumbersome) it can be a life altering experience. So, if it is a bigger one, then you should be pricing the "package" of safe PLUS delivery by an EXPERIENCED tough delivery man with a "power cart" --- these medium to large safes are too wicked to just wrestle like a refrigerator.

Even a simple 8 inch step can be a major issue. If it has to go up or down wood stairs (say into your basement) then they may have to be reinforced temporarily to be safe. Please do not underestimate what a risky situation can develop if the delivery person is inexperienced/poorly equipped or if clearances are not thoroughly thought out in advance.

5. If you are putting your gun safe in a basement, then your ultimate enemy may not be theft or fire but rather water. Consider building a platform 12" or so high to set the safe up on. High and dry.

6. Have a gun rack of sorts outside of your safe. If you want the rifle in the back, then the best route is to just "take out" everything that is in front of it and having a rack prevents mishaps from having too many guns, standing, laying, leaning around while you go for the one you want.

FWIW, I got a Liberty safe and then pickep up an old, tall "file storage" safe about the same size, installed a new Sargent & Greenleaf tumbler set and was ready to go. Now the guns are all stored seperate from the ammo and ancillary stuff. The "ammo safe" also has room for 3 or 4 rifles that have just been cleaned to stand barrel down (for any oil drain for a few days before returning to their designated spot in the other gun safe.

That is all.

EKM
Old 05-07-2004, 05:33 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys, will check out Canon, Champion and Liberty.

So far I've looked at Browning Bridger, Stack-on and Hunter (Canadian Company). Pricing ranging from $1000 to $1500 Canadian (My budget).

Keep you posted.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

I have a centurion 40 gun safe and it won't fit 40 .. So rather than buying another safe I am going to build a block room in the basement. I am using 8" block filled solid . For the celing I am going to use corrugated steel decking then put a safe door on the room.. anybody else have any ideas ..Bill
Old 05-08-2004, 08:47 PM

Excellent comments from ELKampMaster and others.

As also mentioned the fire resistance is from the sheetrock lining. Sheetrock is heavy and sometimes the manufactures will reduce the gauge of the steel somewhat to offset the weight of the sheetrock in order to keep the overall weight to something manageable. You get some fire protection at the cost of some reduced security. (Nothing's perfect). I did not go the fire resistance route. I do have a 45 minute fire resistant mini vault in my safe for important papers/valuables. As someone else said if you're really concerned about fire put your safe in a dedicated gun room lined with a couple of layers of 5/8" sheetrock.

I have the Canadian made Hunter and could not be more pleased with it and the company. The delivery people were professional and knew what they were doing. There are many good makes but I don't know if you'll find better value for your money than the Hunter. gg

Old 05-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Goodguy Nice set up you have there.
Both my Cannon and Liberty have about the same interior as your Hunter shown.
One advantage to having more then one safe is you don't have to keep all your eggs in one basket.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-10-2004, 05:40 AM

Goodguy,

Nice setup, the Hunter's are excellent value, canadian and my original choice (trying to support local manufacturers and shops), but after doing some research it looked like the Browning Bridger with built in fire protection was a better deal.

Going to contact Liberty Safes today out of Montreal to see what their Centurion is worth. My last option is waiting for Bass Pro shops to open this fall and buying one of their Redhead Safes.

Like always I research things to death. Will have to decide soon.

Quick Reply: Rifle Cabinet/Safe - Opinions on Fire Protection?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.