Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 long term storage >

long term storage

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

long term storage

Old 02-27-2004, 04:16 AM

Default long term storage

i hear some people put some kind of grease or somethng to that degree on there rifles and inside the barrel for long term storage untill the next season comes close or you are gonna shoot them

in MA where i live i have bought tons of those huge silica cans that do work but i end up reseting them in the oven for 3 hrs to reset them. the humidity in the summer up her sometimes hurts my matte finish guns like my rem 1100 and my CZ VZ24 mauser. ( light dusting on rust ) all my other guns have no problems. i just get in there ( if i have time and give the gun(s) a whipe down with a silica cloth.

does anyone have aname or names of this stuff they have used in the past for long term storage and possibly a website i might be able topick it up.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:58 AM

Default RE: long term storage

I've used RIG to safely store the guns I never shoot. But there's several heavy greases you could probably use without paying extra for "gun" grease. You can pick RIG up at many gunshops or at www.brownells.com

You'll notice you don't see grease or oil on museum weapons. They use a wax. Here's an interesting article.
http://nra.nationalfirearms.museum/c...nservation.asp
Old 02-27-2004, 06:51 AM

Quilly,
Living in the same type of humidity problems you have, I have finally solved my problem. I've tried the silica packs, and the grease. Both were a pain in the arse, especially the grease. I have a reinforced concrete vault that I built myself, that is integrated with the basement walls and floor of my workshop. Needless to say, the humidity/condensation is quite a problem, especially in the summer. Last year I bought a "goldenrod" from Cabela's. It cost about $30. I'm sure you've seen these things in the catalog. They work well. It plugs into a regular wall outlet, didn't raise my electric bill that I can tell. Supposedly runs for about 5 cents a day. No rust at all since I've been using it, about a year now. It gets warm, but not a fire hazzard, you can grab right on to it without burning your hand. It just warms that space about 2 degrees warmer than the room it is in, therefore driving the moisture out into the room.

They are rated for cubic feet, I bought the one that was one size "too big,", but I think that works better.

Good luck, MH
Old 02-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wipe all my guns down with a Sheep Skin saturated with RIG.You can keep that Silica or moisture absorber. Spend 25-30 bucks and get a Golden-Rod like Mainehunt suggested.I buy mine through Midsouth Shooters Supply. They run about the same as MH said.Plug it in and forget about it.If you have an extra amount of Moisture in your safe install a low wattage light bulb.I run a GR and a low wattage light bulb 24-7.

I would like to comment about the Golden Rod company.I had just installed a new GR. I accidently dropped the safe's shelf while putting the interior in.Naturally it landed right on top of the GR. It was badly dented.I checked later that evening and it still worked. I emailed GR with concerns of a Fire Hazard.I explained what had happened and it was my fault.That I didn't expect their lifetime warranty to cover it.I received a phone call asking me to return it to them with 7.90 for shipping. They replaced my Golden Rod.There's another company who cares about their customers.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-28-2004, 09:49 PM

I haven't tried the goldenrod but was thinking of getting one, guess that's a must now. Anyway, I live in Michigan where the humidity is usually pretty high all summer long, and all I do is make sure that pull all the guns out of the safe once a month, and wipe them with a little gun oil. Only problem is if you forget to do it, or get lazy and don't do it. I guess you could Cosmoline them, but that's messy, both to put on and take off. Sounds like the goldenrod is the way to go.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:11 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-29-2004, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't buy the stuff by brand name, just by what I'm looking for-I like "Garand Grease", whenever I'm out I just go to whatever shop I drive by and ask for some calling it that and they've all got something along the lines of the same stuff. It comes out really nice, and certainly serves its purpose to preserve your gun, I've used it in a pinch to lube a bolt gun for use, it was kind of sticky (not metal/metal friction, just thick goo in the traces), but it made my bolt virtually silent on cycling, it must have been REALLY filling all the gaps in there...a penetrating oil it isn't though, it only goes where you put it, so keep that in mind when you're using it for storage or otherwise.

Like I said in another thread, my granddad used to pack his guns plumb full of automotive bearing grease (filling the bbl full, and most of the action, I don't know that I'd really recommend that, but I'm sure it would get the job done, always did for him, it would just take a day and half to get it filled in, and longer to get it out.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: icthruu

I haven't tried the goldenrod but was thinking of getting one, guess that's a must now.

icthruu
That would be a smart move on your part.I have one heated rod(not a GoldenRod) that's close to 25 years old.It still works fine and never had a moisture problem in that Vault. It's recommended to get the biggest Rod that will fit your safe. Golden Rod has four sizes.Listed in Midsouth's catalog. 12" 8 watt 24.00, 18" 12 watt 25.83,24" 15 watt 27.50 and the 36" 25 watt 29.13. The 12" & 18"have a 6' long cord,the others have a 10'cord. The plug is detachable for easy installation.Midsouth has a 40.00 min order. As you know that's easy to get.LOL. www.midsouthshooterssupply.com
Heres GR's link www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com
Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you go to the Midsouth's site. Click on advanced search. Then go to manufacturer put in Goldenrod.They have them all listed there.They're allot cheaper then going directly through Goldenrod.Compare MS price and the ones on GR site.
Ruger Redhawk