Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shadow or Super Shadow >

Shadow or Super Shadow

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shadow or Super Shadow

Old 02-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shadow or Super Shadow

I was looking at Walmart today at a Winchester Mod 70 that looks like the Black Shadow. It was a Package gun with Simmons scope in 270 WSM. Over at Scheels I looked at one that I think said Super Shadow. What is the difference if any. I am a little confused. I have not been a Winchester guy except for the old lever guns. I thought I had it figured out but there is almost 100 dollars difference in the two I looked at. I know Walmart might be a little cheaper but 100.00 with the scope VS the one at Scheels without a scope for 459.00?
Old 02-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shadow or Super Shadow

I don't know the difference other than the design of the stock. I just bought the shadow from wal mart and i will tell you, it's a very nice gun. I have shot it a few times (30.06) AND its a nice shooter. The scope is a little weak, but it's good for the price.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Super Shadow has a new bolt called Controlled Round Push Feed. It's not the claw extractor, but an improved version of the push feed bolt.
I don't see the Black Shadow listed on their web site anymore, they may have discontinued it. I have a Black Shadow in 7MM RM and love it!
Old 02-12-2004, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

The biggest difference is the action , barrel length and cartridges chambered for it. the Black Shadow is push feed and the Super Shadow is controlled round push feed. The Black Shadows were not chambered in the WSM calibers and all the Super Shadows are. The barrel lengtho f a 7 mm rem Black shadow would be 26" while the max barrel length on a Super Shadow is 24". The stock on the Super Shadow is much stiffer than the Black Shadow and the recoil pad is better both do not have magazines. The Black Shadow has been discontinued but evidently Walmart and whoever has a pretty good inventory of them. You can buy a Super Shadow for 389 dollars with a Simmons scope ...I just did and they had plenty of Black Shadows for the same price. Now if you buy that same Super shadow outside of Walmart the price mysteriously goes up to about the mid 400's without the scope.. Hope that helps
Old 02-12-2004, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you for the info. I thought that maybe one of them had been discontinued. My old bad shoulder might stand up to the 270 WSM.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I found out one more thing today. The one that Walmart handles is a Walmart exclusive and the model numbers don't jive with any other Winchester Model numbers. Scheels has the short mag with no scope for 429.00. What I can't find out is if they are now stocking the 2004 models at Scheels or still selling last years model. If so I don't know how new the crf is. I quess I will try one and if I don't like it I will swap it in. I like what I have been reading about the 270 WSM for long range shooting. That for me would max out at about 350 yards.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes James when I called Winchester parts to find out how much a replacement laminate stock and bottom metal cost the lady on the other side referred to it as the Walmart gun.....Parts are the same as what is sold in a regular gunshop...they are not very knowledgeable about their product. There is a fellow over on Shortmags.org that bought the same gun I have and converted it as above and is very please with it. It is very easy to see the difference in the bolt head between the push feed and the CRPF....I really like this feature and my gun chambers shells slicker then my previous CRF model 70 in 300 wsm...
Old 02-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just ask Scheels if it is the Super shadow and if it is thats the one you want for the 270 wsm...
Old 02-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I got the one at Scheels today. I think its last years Super Shadow. I got the Sheels 4.5X14X40 scope for it. I have been wanting to try the Scheel scopes. They have a life time warranty over the counter so you will never have to send one in. The sales guy who I know well says they have sold several hundred so far and have not got one back yet. Its the 270WSM If I don't like it I quess I will have to trade it back.