Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester Super Shadow >

Winchester Super Shadow

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Super Shadow

Old 07-21-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Winchester Super Shadow

Does anyone own a Winchester Super Shadow? I'm looking for a few opinions on this rifle.I was looking for infomation on quality, accuracy, action. Price looks pretty good, the scope would definitely get replaced. I hope it's not another 710 debacle.Thanks for your help.

S/F
Old 07-21-2005, 06:53 PM

Default RE: Winchester Super Shadow

I really like the one I have. 25 WSSM. I topped it with a Nikon Monarch 3-9X40, and the only gun I own that is more accurate is my T3. Light gun, light recoil and it will flat reach out and touch.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:53 PM

USMC - I don't actually own one of these, but I have rebarreled several and they seem to be a pretty nice action. The stock, however, I would throw away. It has very little rigidity. Get a McMillan. Good luck. Roskoe
Old 07-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Win 70 is a very good gun! I would not even mention the "plastic POS," in the same sentence as the M70!
Old 07-22-2005, 08:25 PM

IMHO the SS is TWICE the gun of either the ADL/SPS or the 710. They handle better than ANY of the other 70s in the entire Shadow line, including the Silver. Sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it is a hunting rifle, what more does a man REALLY have to have? I guess because I grew up with an old ADL back in the mid 80s, I don't mind blind magazines and no frills. The deer sure can't tell the difference, they are highly allergic too them all!!!

My brother-in-law was called up too Iraq last fall and had to leave while I was on a hunt in MO. He never had the money for another rifle other than an ol 270 Ruger hand me down from an uncle. He always was replacing scopes because of the $50 Wallyworld specials he put on it wouldn't make it but a season or two. So I proudly bought him a 300WSM SuperShadow with a 3.5x10x40 (or is it 44? damn CRS) Nikon Monarch as a, "Thank You" and a going away present. He was in tears when I gave it too him and he only got to shoot it once before he left. He came home for 2 weeks in May for the birth of his daughter and then went back and as it stands now he will return home after Christmas. I spoke with him the other night via computer cam and he is CAN'T wait to get back and try that rifle out. He was a competitive shooter with the Guard while in college and is hell with a firearm. I can't wait either to see him "layem low" with the lil 3. Hell I don't even have 300WSM yet (well I guess the ATF considers it mine, but SCREW them anyway!) but I thought that was THE best option for what I wanted to do and what would last him the rest of his life. I also got him a couple boxes of Fed Prem Vital Shok 180TSXs and the few he shot grouped terribly well, my laser bore sight worked within 1" and he was on in 3 shots. He did say it kicked a lil tho

I am a rifle nut with a safe FULL of em, but my bro-in-law only has the Ruger and now the Winnie. More than likely he will never get another rifle either, so for him the SS was PERFECT! Hell I was considerin one until I picked up a Titanium Abolt (and God knows you can buy 3-4 Supershadows for one of those! [:@] )

Good luck and be proud of the lil winnie, it's a great gun and a fantastic caliber!
RA