Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 H&R Ultra Slug Gun >

H&R Ultra Slug Gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R Ultra Slug Gun

Old 11-06-2003, 09:10 AM

Default H&R Ultra Slug Gun

Just purchased a H&R slug gun .....150 yrd shots with a shotgun !!!! Havent actually used it yet , but was looking for some feedback from someone who has.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: H&R Ultra Slug Gun

I don' t know about 150 yards, but mine will put them right in there at 100 yards in 12 guage. I also have the 20 guage, that is even more accurate. It' s the 20 guage youth model with a Leupold scope. It' s small, light, and very accurate. I like the Lightfield slugs. They are big and accurate.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have two. One 12 gauge deluxe, 1 20 gauge standard.

The gun will do what it is supposed to do, if YOU do!

Got 4X scopes on both.

I' m not lookin back. In the " old" 12, I' ve gotten best accuracy from Brenneke 3" Gold Magnums. Lightfields shot pretty well. About the same as, get this, Remington Sluggers. In the new 20, I got a steal on a bunch of 2 3/4" Remington Copper Solids, after bore sighting, a few boxes had it dialed in and it really is consistent with them ($5.00/box!). Do the right thing and make sure to try some Brenneke' s, even if not the 3" Mag' s. Brenneke rocks! Talk about KNOCK DOWN POWER! They don' t drop deer, they knock em over. I think one of the big reasons is that Brenneke has been makin slugs for SO long. They don' t design their slugs like Remington, Lightfield, Winchester or BRI. Those are designed with deer as their sole objective. Brenneke designs theirs to deal with animals much tougher. Safari grade, if you will. Search around their website, I' m thinking Cape Buffalo.

I know the Gold Mag' s aren' t sabot, but their website says like all but one or twop of their slugs are fine for rifled barrels. I know that shooting Remington Sluggers out of a rifled barrel isn' t best thing either, but man, they do shoot real nice. (SCRUB that barrel! LOL)

I' ve been wanting to maybe get a new H&R single smooth bore and trying to " maximize" it' s slug performance. Starting with a new gun @ $60-80, we' ll see where it goes.

Might just be better to start with one of the single shot rifled barrel/rifled sight deals for a few more $$$.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 11-07-2003, 02:25 AM

I have one of the NEFs in 20ga. Mine will put all 5 into one about 2 in. at 50 yards with either Brenneke or Federal Classics. I carry it more than my rifle.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:26 AM

Oh yeah it' s a smoothbore. Modified choke.