Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Could this save Remington? >

Could this save Remington?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Could this save Remington?

Old 02-19-2018, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

they better go back to quality over cheap.
I'd think they'd want a solid entry level rifle, though, if nothing else to help get first time buyers favorable to their products. They might have it in the 783.

Do they make an AR-15 type of gun? That's where the market is going.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

They have their "Modern Sporting Rifle" The R15

-Jake
Old 02-26-2018, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad has one of the R-15's. It's pretty effective, and really came into the market before everyone and their brother was making a free-float AR. But they may have dug themselves into a niche simply because of aesthetics---the tactical folks have a taste for tactical patterns, not hunting camo.
On a separate note, I wasn't compelled by Remington's recent handgun offerings. They seemed like a waste of marketing power.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:26 PM
Spike

All my rifles are Remington's ,older 700's. Extremely accurate. My shot guns also are Remington,with the Exception of my new savage 220 slug gun. It is the newest weapon I have purchase in a long time,like many have said you buy a quality weapon it's going to last you a lifetime. I was hesitant buying a Savage, to me it seemed like a cheap gun but as far as accuracy it is top notch, as far as the operation of the bolt and the safety it is not ,top notch. Seems like everything these days is sub par,they cut back on quality to lower the price. Or it is sourced out to some foreign country to save cost. I find myself sounding like my parents complaining about when a loaf of bread cost 5 cents. But if a company supplies a quality product it will be rewarded with a loyal following of customers that will stand behind them and that will get them customers from word of mouth. I am a full time taxidermist for over thirty years. All the advertising in the world will not help you if you have one person saying your product sucks. But having someone saying your product is good will have people knocking at your door.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

I heard all the garbage about quality being poor now. However I have bought 2 new Remington products in the last 4 years and can not complain about either of them. I do believe most of the trouble is in the trigger repair and law suits. To that I have heard that their trigger had problems since the day it was brought out why is it just an issue now. When I say brought out this goes back to the early 60's I believe.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

What HOPEFULLY COULD HAPPEN, but won't...

Remington being held by Freedom/Cerberus is sub-ideal, they're an anti-gun organization, profiteering from a legacy asset. In bankruptcy during a high market, they could hypothetically be picked up by someone who will be a more beneficial steward of the legacy, carrying it into the future.

Remington has a lot of products which do compete in their respective classes, and they do have solid performers. The R-15 and 25 are good players in their class, then they brought out the 700 Magpul and now the PCR to stay relevant in the new trend of "precision long range" competitive rifles. The Sendero II may not be the old Sendero we used to know, nor the 700P the same PSS, but they're still about as good as it gets in factory offerings. Other brands have come a long way to catch up to Remington, which is fair and fine to say, but the 700 remains a contender in any conversation about bolt action rifles. Customer service, even under Freedom/Cerberus, remains to be great, minus a few disgruntled folks who can't be pleased. Given proper stewardship of a new strategic leader, Remington could continue to enjoy thorough growth and ample prosperity in the future.

Unfortunately, I would expect the company is large enough such when the dust settles, it will either have been picked up by another holding house, or distributed into divested business segments, shutting down or parting off different lines into different companies, leaving the legacy to be fractured and distorted by any number of strategic leaders with any number of different visions for their respective directions...
Old 03-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Question Long post on IMO quality among brands

My last Rem was a 770 nearly 11 years ago "I think". It is and has been what I call my truck gun and has spent more time in the quad cab on rear floor than in the front seat. It's my beater rifle that goes everywhere rain snow or shine. It was the biggest piece of junk outside being extremely accurate until I got serious about making it a "shooter", all done myself. A little polishing here and there, a serious trigger adjustment (those were heavy lawsuit days when it was sold, a 7+lb trigger pull is stupid) and a stock for it and it's still the "truck gun", see the attached image.

As far as Remington, I still think their product OK especially in the blueing, steel used, etc. but seriously believe they're in trouble and I hate to see it.

I love my Savage in .300WSM but honestly it's too fast for most deer huntingand their blueing sucks. I still use it hunting in very open country at longe range Mulies but it's either my REM7600 '06 purchased 34 years ago? or the truck gun that typically accompany me when taking a jaunt into the brush or timber.

Will Remington go away? Financial advisers can tell you better than I, but the fact that so many "posters" are going the CZ route doesn't bode well for them. Their handgun campaign was a joke IMO, their screw up with their early Marlin purchase was abominable! To make Marlins without a fit and finish? REALLY? The mildly old 336's were the gold standard of .30-30/.35's in mid to late seventies and early 80's, subject only to the really old win 94's. Savage quality has declined (compared to the 99 days) yet accuracy and being able to modernize (their bolt guns) has gone up.

Will Remington survive? Probably, and I knew a VP personally as I guided along side him one summer back in the hay-days for them.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has stock "numbers"/"worth" from the parent companies of the most popular gun vendors from 2013 as compared to 2018/present

Sorry for the long drawn out post.

REM7600.
Attached Thumbnails Could this save Remington?-truckgunimage.jpg   Could this save Remington?-truckgun.jpg   Could this save Remington?-goodday.jpg