Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Accuracy - Slug Gun vs. In-line? >

Accuracy - Slug Gun vs. In-line?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accuracy - Slug Gun vs. In-line?

Old 10-23-2003, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Accuracy - Slug Gun vs. In-line?

I would say on average the Ml will outperform most slug rifles in accuracy. I don' t own both but have seen how mine does against a few who do own slug guns. I don' t believe that MLs are 200 yards killers for all, while I can group very nicely at 200 yards, I still won' t take that shot. My bullet drops 10-12" from 100-200(depending on the conditions and powder burn) and that is to much where to hold for my likes. Even though i own a range finder and could determine distance with then where to hold, I prefer to hunt higher % odds and spots that keeps my shots to 100 or so.

I personally shoot 240 gr 50 cal bullets with 100 gr of 777(209 primers) and group in around 1" at 100 yards. At 150 my groups double easily, so as such that is where I hang my max range. In all but one case my ml shots have come between 30-100 yards, so i really see no need to try the 200 low % shot. Everybody has their limit, experience and own choice to make on what they can REALISTICALLY shoot till. I try and set up within 200 yards for my 7 rem mag, even though I can shoot much further...boils down to when that chance is presented I want as much of the odds in my favor...becasue even good shooters do make small mistakes.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:23 AM
bigcountry

Oh come on ewc. I am a Kentucky man really, owning a house there and here in MD. Grew up in Ky and TN. Not far from knoxville. So I do understand the temptations of big talk from TN/KY/VA. Its kinda born into us. I fortunately have gotten away from it over the years. Its kinda like when my cousin from Pikeville, KY calls and said he got a 200lb 10 pointer with 24" spread, I reduce that down to 140lbs dressed out and more like a 8pt with a 20" inside spead.

Come on ewc, put that weapon up on a bet. I can take the wager up a step. You name the amount. I will be down at my ole ky home for a week during Thanksgiving. And that gun would worth it for me to drive 2 and half hours. It makes it interesting. And an expert hunter like yourself, it would be like taking candy from a baby. Actally I do like the savage and do want one. And will if I continue to ML hunt this much. MD has a real long ML season and an early one.

This morning about 3 hours ago I dropped a whitetail for the table at 90 yards with an older knight inline. This is the typical ML' s out there, even though the " magnums" are definately getting up there in numbers. I shot it in the shoulder angling to the heart. It barely penetrated the shoulder and finally got the heart. But thats as far as it went. He dropped in his tracks. Thats as far as I would have taken that shot. With a " typical" , ML, I needed more energy to do the job right. I have not killed half the deer you have with a ML, as I usually take the majority of deer with a bow.

No matter what the practice, I do with either my knight or my TC sidelock, I don' t think I will ever be able to take deer at 200 yards.

Old 10-24-2003, 10:24 AM
bigcountry

ewc, what is your load your using to get 2330fps? Is that chrono' d? thats the highest velocity I have ever seen for the savage and still have great accuracy.

Old 10-24-2003, 11:04 AM

It seems that ewc is being picked on for some reason or other.

All I can say is, I' ve got a truely accurate pump slug gun, I" ve shot some truely accurate muzzleloaders, and I have no reason to doubt what ewc has said.

Out of all the muzzleloading rifles out there, and all of the great hunters that pull the triggers, there' s bound to be at least one guy/rifle that can shoot that well.

Keep up the good shooting, ewc!
Old 10-24-2003, 11:27 AM
bigcountry

mainehunt. Just some good fun. I am sure he is telling the truth, which is why he should take my money with the bet.

you got to understand the area. Money talks, and BS walks is what I say now.

Old 10-24-2003, 12:06 PM
ewc

Like I said, I don' t make silly bets. Do I think I could do it 3 out of 5? I honestly don' t know. I' d like to try, but not at the risk of that gun.

This load is for the Savage 10 ml II only:
43 gr SR-4759, W209 primer, 28ga Claybuster base wad, and Hornady 250 gr SST.
I did not chronograph this load, but Toby Bridges has a number of times for the 2,330 figure I gave you.

I have shot much hotter loads through my Savage with Lil' Gun. However, I shoot SR-4759 for the accuracy, not speed. Some others shooting Lil' Gun and 180 gr Knight Red Hots have gotten 2,900 fps. I believe that Toby has gotten over 3,000 fps with the 175 gr Devel.

Visit the sites that One-Shot recommends in the Muzzleloading Forum; Savage Thread. Those guys are good.

By the way, I used to run walleye creel surveys on the upper Clinch River. Creeled several Pikeville boys that were among the best walleye fisherman I would come across.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:21 PM
bigcountry

ok, your not going to bite.

After this morning, I think I will pick up one of the savages maybe next year. I agree you can get much better range than either of my ML. And there was a few times this morning I could have used a longer range gun.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:39 AM

I shoot both an in-line and a shot gun. The shot gun was my first rifle and it is a lot of fun and the only problem is the kick. The shot gun is an all around rifle and can be used for many different things, from skeet shooting to deer hunting. If you are strickly going deer, bear, or elk hunting I would choose the in-line or flint lock rifle. Here in PA, you can only use the shot gun 2 weeks for deer, or extra time for turkey. If you had a flint lock rifle, you could use it about 4 or more weeks of deer hunting. The in-line with a scope I would find more accurate.

Good luck....

Tomster