Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Accuracy - Slug Gun vs. In-line? >

Accuracy - Slug Gun vs. In-line?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accuracy - Slug Gun vs. In-line?

Old 10-21-2003, 07:33 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Accuracy - Slug Gun vs. In-line?

Oh, that sounds like a challenge . And a fun one at that. I have bunches of experience with both. Bottom line is really they both are a 130 yard max weapon.

Now you are going to think this is funny, but last year, my Knight really outshot my gold or my 870 sluggun with 2" groups all day. But this year it does not. Maybe with a new lot of pryodex, maybe the weather, my muzzleloader shoots different this year, and seems to need tweaking to get 4 groups out of 5 with 2" groups at 100 yards.

But my slugguns, always, I mean always shoots 2.5" groups or better. Every year, same story, no tweaking, no muss, no fuss. I still like my ML' s better.

Old 10-21-2003, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion the muzzleloader wins the accuracy contest. I' d love to pickup one of the newer inline muzzleloaders. I just can' t seem to justify it though.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a CVA bolt action ML at Dick' s Sporting Goods for about $100.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

I' d like to hear what slugs everyone is shooting to get these groups.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:36 AM
bigcountry

Well, I have noticed all my slugguns are different. In my 870, it only likes those older Federal hydroshocks, that are shaped like an hour glass, but won' t shoot Remingtons worth a darn. In my Browning gold, it loves the remington copper solids. It is a tack driver with these slugs. But it hates the older Federals. (I bought up a whole bunch a few years ago, and don' t think they make them anymore).

But all likes the lightfields.

My 870 is open sighted and gets 2" groups at 50 yards very consistently. My Gold has a 2x7 scope and gets 2" groups at 100 yards pretty consistently. This year I plan on trying those long range remingtons.

Old 10-22-2003, 02:27 PM
ewc

Bigcountry-

Did you mean a muzzleloader is only a 130yd max weapon? If so, I really should quit shooting it @ 200. Sunday' s group @ 200 yards with a Savage 10ml 2 measured .785" . Drop was 5.5" . Have quit testing for the year as mz season is almost here, but plan to see what it will do @ 300 after season.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-23-2003, 08:19 AM
bigcountry

Do the math. With a .18BC and 2200fps launch with a 240gr bullet zeroed at 100 yards, you have a drop of 10" at 200 yards and 1000ft/lbs of energy at 200 yards with a velocity of 1100fps.

Yea, thats definatly lack of experience or you might be very lucky. Be a hunter. Wait for that animal. Draw him close to you with skills that were used for centuries.

So ewc, are you trying to say that the average muzzleloader hunter can get .5" groups at 200 yards? Or are is this just tall TN talk. I don' t think all ML will get that sort of performance. So suggesting that all ML are 200yard weapons is not a great idea.

I will tell you what. I will make a challenge with you. I bet you that Savage ML against my 500 dollars that you can' t get less than 1" groups at 200 yards 3 times out 5 with three shot groups.

Old 10-23-2003, 01:23 PM
ewc

My math stinks. You do the math. B.C.=.240; MV=2,330; +2.5@100 = -5.5@200 yards. Did not mean to upset or embarass you. For the record, I said nothing about my skills as a hunter. But since you brought that up, I' ve killed 40-some odd whitetails with my mz in the last 17 years. Only killed one of those past 75 yards and it was @ 130. However, I routinely shoot at 200 and can kill at that range if I was ever tempted to do so.

I never suggested all muzzleloaders were 200 yard weapons. A lot of that depends on the shooter. I do know my muzzleloader will definately kill at that range. With some practice, maybe you could do it too.

Since I' m from Tennessee, everything I say is Tennessee talk. I don' t make silly bets, every time I do, I lose. However, since your jealous of the gun, you can come borrow it anytime you want.

Quick Reply: Accuracy - Slug Gun vs. In-line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.