Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ' Nother Question...Sight-In Distance >

' Nother Question...Sight-In Distance

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

' Nother Question...Sight-In Distance

Old 10-24-2003, 02:42 PM

Default ' Nother Question...Sight-In Distance

Hello...yet another question from this rather green female deer hunter...

I need opinions on what the best distance is for sighting in my Rem87Exp20Ga for deer season. I' m about 14feet up in a deer stand with about 15 feet of lower brush in front of me which opens up to a large cornfield/valley (ah yes, and the territory is all mine!)

It seems that all the guys around here have their DEFINITE opinions on how far it should be, and each one of them different. Last year we did 60 yards.

Sometimes I have deer walk 10-20 yards in front of me in the morning and stop to congregate - and sometimes they only come around about 100-125 yards out. I' m just afriad that if I sight it in one way, and the 1st day I get a shot 15 yards away, the way I have it sighted in for ditance may screw me up. Is that true? and if it is...say I sight it in @ 75, will I be high or low on close shots?
Old 10-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ' Nother Question...Sight-In Distance

You won' t win with that thinking....do this: sight in your slug gun for 40 yards. That should cover any target from 10 to 65 yards. Then shoot the gun at 75 and 100 yards to see the actual drop.

I' d be reluctant to shoot over 100 yards.....

After you know what the drop is at 75 and 100, you must judge the distance of actual shots and hold high accordingly.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:00 AM

Default RE: ' Nother Question...Sight-In Distance

I sight in all my guns at 100 yards. What I do is get either a large piece of brown paper 4x8 or tar paper and put a target in the middle. Than go to the range and use duct tape to secure in at 100 yards and start plinking away. I have a gun vise but I tend to hold the rifle steady using my tool box from the muzzleloader and a towel on top. This way I can see where my shots are hitting and adjust them accordingly. If the deer are less than 25 yards, than I aim a little high, knowing that my sight is higher than the barrell.

Good luck....

Tomster