Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Concealed Carry Gun? >

Concealed Carry Gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Concealed Carry Gun?

Old 02-26-2017, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bumping this up. A year later, what do you guys like? Thinking I may get one this year.
I guess like most folks, Im looking at finding good reliable gun... that fits well and won't break the bank. TIA!
Old 02-26-2017, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

In the winter months I've been carrying my duty pistol, a glock 17. Heavy clothes it's easy to cover. For a true CCW pistol I'd look at the glock 42 or 43. The springfield XDS, the M&P shield, the SIG P320 is an interesting platform... I have no experience with it but I believe it would be worth you looking in to.

Your best bet is to pick several reliable make/models then go to a big store and hold all of them, see what feels best. Then buy it, and shoot it until you are able to use it under the worst/most stressful situations.
-Jake
Old 02-26-2017, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
In the winter months I've been carrying my duty pistol, a glock 17. Heavy clothes it's easy to cover. For a true CCW pistol I'd look at the glock 42 or 43. The springfield XDS, the M&P shield, the SIG P320 is an interesting platform... I have no experience with it but I believe it would be worth you looking in to.

Your best bet is to pick several reliable make/models then go to a big store and hold all of them, see what feels best. Then buy it, and shoot it until you are able to use it under the worst/most stressful situations.
-Jake
I carry the Sig P320 sub-compact. It's trigger is fantastic.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being a country bumpkin you wouldn't think I would wear a suit but 90% of the time I am out I wear one so concealment for me is easily accomplished. Even when I am wearing jeans I USUALLY have some sort of jacket on. In summer time it's jeans and an un-tucked shirt. When I am wearing a jacket I am usually fit up with a shoulder holster rig as most of my jackets are tailored to fit without printing it. This allows me to get away with carrying full sized rigs in .45 and when tucked in a IWB holster I use a carry size (P227) rather than full.

The wife just informed me that I have a new baby on the way to add to the fold for an anniversary present that I am highly excited about. Sig 1911 Fastback Nightmare Carry in .45. Have I ever told you guys I love my wife I have a few Sigs and love each and every one of them. Also have a couple of old Colt 1911 .45's, one of which is without peer my favorite. Old as dirt but still functions flawlessly and is by far my most accurate carry weapon. In my hands anyway. She fits like a well tailored glove and after some trigger work years ago as well as some feed ramp polishing and a little stiffer recoil spring she just flat out works like a well bred Clydesdale.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Are you saying you're gonna be a daddy or a grandpa? Congrats on either way!!

I totally agree on guns that fit a person well--no sense in carrying anything else. Which is why anybody contemplating a CCW pistol should hold, handle and if possible shoot any potential CCW pistols. For me, I do like 1911's and SIGs are so smooth they feel like a DA 1911 but Glocks are something I could shoot, reload and combat reload in my sleep after over 20 years of carrying that platform as a duty gun (that familiarity and fit thing that's so important).

I recently picked up a Glock 42 and 43 like Jake has suggested and am working them through their paces and with various CCW holsters to see what will work the best for me. This is a good topic and a lot of good info has been shared by many.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had my Glock 26 (9mm) for over a year now. Really like it and how concealable it is. I use a Stealth Gear iwb holster. It rides nice and is breathable.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Being a country bumpkin you wouldn't think I would wear a suit but 90% of the time I am out I wear one so concealment for me is easily accomplished. Even when I am wearing jeans I USUALLY have some sort of jacket on. In summer time it's jeans and an un-tucked shirt. When I am wearing a jacket I am usually fit up with a shoulder holster rig as most of my jackets are tailored to fit without printing it. This allows me to get away with carrying full sized rigs in .45 and when tucked in a IWB holster I use a carry size (P227) rather than full.

The wife just informed me that I have a new baby on the way to add to the fold for an anniversary present that I am highly excited about. Sig 1911 Fastback Nightmare Carry in .45. Have I ever told you guys I love my wife I have a few Sigs and love each and every one of them. Also have a couple of old Colt 1911 .45's, one of which is without peer my favorite. Old as dirt but still functions flawlessly and is by far my most accurate carry weapon. In my hands anyway. She fits like a well tailored glove and after some trigger work years ago as well as some feed ramp polishing and a little stiffer recoil spring she just flat out works like a well bred Clydesdale.
Congrats on the new addition you have coming !
Old 02-27-2017, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

WVA, my son carries one of those little Ruger 380's with a laser on it and likes it because it does not weigh much. I do not CC much, I usually have a S&W 5906 and three 17 round mags in a case in the vehicle. Obviously I like some weight in a firearm. For CC I have a Polish surplus P-64 in 9X18 Makarov, it is in the "pocket pistol" category being about the size of a PPK. It is all steel, accurate, reliable and inexpensive. If you get one you should do a recoil and hammer spring replacement from Wolf, the former is a little weak and the latter is way too heavy. The gun costs appx. $250, the springs cost appx. $16. You can put them in yourself if you are careful. These are great little guns.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

How often do you have to replace the springs since you mentioned the cost of the springs?
Old 02-27-2017, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

OT, I understand that the P-64 was originally made to shoot much lighter bullets then what we use here and at the same velocity, about 20 grains lighter and with a very hard primer. You can use the stock springs but I changed the original 17 lb recoil spring to a 22 lb. so the little gun takes less battering by the heavier recoil of present ammo. The stock hammer spring is well over 20 lbs., double action shooting with that is nearly impossible. I swapped that for a 18 lb. hammer spring which is still heavy but is doable. The gun operates fine after the spring change, I believe that I will never have to change them again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.