Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Concealed Carry Gun? >

Concealed Carry Gun?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Concealed Carry Gun?

Old 02-02-2016, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Springfield XDs in .45 or even smaller is the Kahr CM-40. The Kahr CM-40 is the size of a lot of .380s and even smaller than some. It's the most firepower you can stuff in a pocket size pistol (ALWAYS use pocket holster!). It's NOT fun to shoot but when the chips are down and you need absolutely the most firepower you can get in that size, it fits the niche perfectly! After conducting extensive penetration & expansion tests on different cartridges on a variety of test medias, the .40 produces about roughly twice as much damage as a .380.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I ended up going with the Glock 26 Gen4. Thanks for all your input!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:36 AM
Spike

When I was shopping for my concealed carry gun I weighed 3 variables: cost vs. size vs. reliability. I ended up with a Kahr and have been very happy with it.

I got a 9 mm just because the smaller size is easier for a small guy like me to conceal, but every gun they make comes in .40 and .45 as well.

To break the gun in, I put 200 rounds of cheap ammo through it, and it did not malfunction a single time (and I bought their lower-end pistol). I paid $350 for it. Money very well spent.

That said, a CC gun is going to be a matter of personal preference, and what's good for me may not be good for you, but I am sold on the value and quality of my Kahr.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:27 AM
Typical Buck

Glock 43 in a High Noon IWB holster on the right hip or an LCP in a Desantix Nemesis in the pocket.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

How do you like your G43 for shooting and for CCW suitability?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:28 AM
Typical Buck

Excellent. The 43 comes with 2 mags, one with a pinky extension, the other without. I prefer the mag with the extension. Have replaced the mag floor plates with Pearce +1 extensions which are nearly the same size as the original extension but gives me +1 in the mag. I have smallish hands so it feels great. Shoots, feels and acts like a bigger weapon at the range. Has proven to be quite accurate for me even though I'm not a great handgun shooter. As for carry, with the High Noon IWB holster at about the 4 o'clock position, almost forget it's there. In warmer weather in south Mississippi, I'm a shorts and t shirt wearer which can be challenging. LCP in the pocket on those days which is 6+ months a year.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

If you want to improve your pistol shooting accuracy at the range, consider implementing the following things as they apply (or not) to you personally in your shooting style.
1. While using 2 hands (more stability), make sure your 2nd hand isn't pushing the gun.
2. Using a spent cartridge, dry fire your pistol at the target and see if your trigger finger pull (some call it a press) is moving your pistol a lot (there's almost always a little movement but that's okay). Adjust by moving your finger to the left or right on the trigger to find that sweet spot where you can pull the trigger smoothly and move the pistol the least. For most people with this issue, they're using too much trigger finger.
3. Focus your aiming eye or eyes (some people use both eyes) on the front sight, not the target (which should be slightly blurry). If your shots are hitting all around the intended aiming point in a circle or so, this is the sign that you're focusing on the target, not the front sight.
4. Breathe normal, let a little bit out and don't hold your breath while pulling/squeezing the trigger.
5. When looking at your target, if you notice some rounds have hit real low, that's usually anticipation of the round going off. People with this problem tend to jerk the trigger fast to beat the recoil. This is super easy to detect if you put a spent cartridge in the chamber and then fire normally. You'll notice the pistol dip down (anticipation) just before you finish pulling/squeezing the trigger.

FWIW, these are the five most common errors I've seen while training cops for many years at the range. They're all fixable and almost everybody's accuracy improves when they focus on them. Then you work on speed.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is a #6, if the rounds are consistently high and the gun is sighted in the shooter is probably heeling the grip.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

True dat. Less control of the pistol during recoil also.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great advise guys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.