Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Concealed Carry Gun? >

Concealed Carry Gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Concealed Carry Gun?

Old 01-18-2016, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Concealed Carry Gun?

So what is your concealed carry weapon of choice? I am in the market for a CC gun. I prefer a .45ACP but a little concerned with the recoil on a compact frame. I currently have a Colt Commander in a .45 but it's a little on the large size to carry comfortably.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

I have a Glock 30 SF in .45 and like it a lot. I definitely prefer a compact over a sub-compact but sometimes it depends on the limitations of your clothing options, surroundings, etc. If your hand size prefers a single stack mag, there are lots of good option available.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have no problem with a full size .45 recoil, I carry one during the cold months when I am wearing a coat. The rest of the year I carry a Kahr .40 S&W on my hip. It is small enough not to show an outline and has enough power to do the job. Recoil has never been a consideration for me, I carried a gun for 32 years as part of my job and I carried and qualified with a .45 when I worked under cover and as a special investigator.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was referring to the recoil on a compact frame, not a full size Oldtimer.

Cal, is the 30 SF a Gen 4 gun?
Old 01-18-2016, 04:00 PM
Spike

I carry a Springfield XDS 3.3 inch barrel in 45 ACP. I'm shooting Hornady Critical Defense 185gr. Total pooch to shoot & easy to carry.

Greg
Old 01-18-2016, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I have anything besides a Ruger LCP on me, then it's because I have 2 pieces at hand. The LCP is my EDC, if I want something else, it's in addition to the LCP.

Glock 27 in 40 is a new one for me. Love it so far. Have had a G42 for a few months, the only reason I don't carry it - in favor of the LCP - is that I'd like to keep this one, and could tolerate having the LCP confiscated.

Love revolvers though - Ruger SP101, S&W 60, Ruger LCR, and Taurus 85, in that order.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

I like the Springfield you have and also the Walther PPS. Just over my budget thou.
Good Hornady ammo there-too Greg! But check out the range results of the Federal HSTs. The 45-ammo's are tested near the bottom of the page. You can click-on the pictured five bullets tested for each one too.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self...llistic-tests/

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 01-18-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Rob, It's about 5 years old and I believe it's gen 3 (has a light rail and night sites but the older checkering). It's the compact model with a slimmer frame although the mag is double stacked and carries 10 rounds. The compact Glock models are easier to carry concealed than the full size ones. The sub-compacts are a little smaller but still as thick. I like my compact Glock 45 and 40's for CCW. If I needed something slimmer, I think I'd look at a single stack 9mm. The newer 9mm ammo is supposed to be almost as good as the 40.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

NM, one of the guys picked up a G42 and likes it. He said he would have got a G43 if he'd known they were coming out so quickly. I have to admit, that G43 looks mighty tempting. I have a Ruger SP101 and that gun is a mini cannon. It's loud, puts out a big flame pattern and packs one heck of a punch if you're shooting full-bore 357 loads.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Glock 23, but also looking for a smaller one for my pocket...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.