Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rem 7. is it worth the money? >

Rem 7. is it worth the money?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem 7. is it worth the money?

Old 09-15-2003, 05:27 PM

Default Rem 7. is it worth the money?

I have the opportunity to buy an older Remington Model 7 in .308. it has a 20 inch tapered barrel in excellent condition -- does not appear to have many rounds through it. i can' t see any apparent signs of wear just forward of the action. the stock is in very good condition and has a very sweet trigger -- far better than the current crop of ' lawyerized' Rems.

the price is $395.

here' s my question. with a 20 inch barrel on a 6 1/2 pound gun, will i be able to shoot accurately out past 200 yards -- CONSISTENTLY --.??

I am afraid that if i buy it and decide it needs a new barrel, maybe a couple of inches longer and thicker -- yet still trying to maintain somewhat of a ' walking' rifle, that i will be quickly approaching the cost of a new rifle.

what am i going to use it for? coyotes. whoa, i' m sure a lot of you are saying: too much gun, too much gun. well, maybe. but my intent is to be able to take ' em on the run, maybe out to 500 yards. while i know that calling coyotes is the regular method of taking these critters, i would prefer to track them, and take them once they have winded me. crazy? maybe so, but i want to add a touch of fairness to the game. i would prefer to learn how to shoot at moving targets anyway.

so i chose the 308 for its ability to reach out, sometimes way out. will this gun do that? or do i have to get a 10 pound heavy barrel -- whcih i am trying very much to avoid.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rem 7. is it worth the money?

i' ve got an older model 7 in .260 rem. but , mine has an 18 1/2" barrel , and she' s very accurate but , i' m no where near a 500 yard shooter , 300 yards is far enough for me.

for a 500 yard rifle , in my opinion you' de be better served with a longer barrel , but a 10 lb. heavy barreled rifle isn' t going to be very easy to carry in the field ,

savage arms makes a rifle that' s a cross between both of those sort of , it the model 10FP , it' s a short action rifle available in .223 rem. and, .308 win. . it' s overall length is 44 inches , it' s barrel is a heavy free floated and is button rifled and it' s length is 24 inches and it' s wieght is 8 1/2 lbs. it' s got a black checkered , dual pillar bedded synthetic stock with swivel studs , and a swivel stud for a bipod. the new accu trigger system. and it' s got a four shot magazine. and has a matte non-glare finish. suggested retail is $558.00 dollars so you will most probably get it in the low to mid $400.00 range.

it' s lighter , and around the same price , and is better equiped to do the job.
at least that' s my opinion, hope it helped

i forgot to mention that she' s drilled and tapped for a scope
Old 09-15-2003, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rem 7. is it worth the money?

It' s a fine gun and accuracy is not dependant on barrel length....as a matter of fact I think shorter barrels are a trifle more accurate.]
Velocity loss will be minimal and the gun is fine all the way to elk. The price ain' t bad and in my opinion it' s a very fine cartridge in a very fine gun.