Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Are rangefinders worth the money? >

Are rangefinders worth the money?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Are rangefinders worth the money?

Old 04-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are rangefinders worth the money?

im kinds thinking about getting a lower priced rangefinder, maybe the Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout. But are they worth the money? does anyone use them for turkey hunting? Whats a good recommendation on a good range finder? Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:28 PM

Default RE: Are rangefinders worth the money?

Wouldn't work for turkey hunting, too much movement. I'd say they're definently worth it for deer and other big game hunting.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:46 PM

dont get bushnell, get the cheapest luepold or nikon, it wouldnt work the best for turkeys but if you wait for it to turn you could use it i suppose
Old 04-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I say yes it is definately worth the money. You dont have to use it right on the turkey, you can range things like trees and bushes and stuff so when the turkey comes in you know exactly how far he is.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jepcho

I say yes it is definately worth the money. You dont have to use it right on the turkey, you can range things like trees and bushes and stuff so when the turkey comes in you know exactly how far he is.
I totally agree with the above statement. I have the bushnel yardage pro scout and it goes with me all the time. For a range finder, if your hunting close prey (archery & Turkeys) you will never have time to range the animal and shoot. You need to range objects in the area so you know when the animal is here, it is this distance and if it is there, it is that distance. I archery hunt turkeys and distance knowledge is a necessity.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can range your decoys and things around your setup so you know approx. how far the turkey is when he comes into it. I had a cheap bushnell, it worked, but I sold it and got a Nikon 440. The nikon is smaller and seems to work better on black targets (had trouble ranging bears and hogs on 3D targets with the bushnell).
Old 04-20-2007, 09:00 PM

I bought a Nikon 440 and find it quite useful, even turkey hunting. As others have said--I range some landmarks so I'll know when ole tom is in lethal range.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:11 PM

invaluable. sont listen to the anti bushnell tip, they make quality products and my scout has been with me everywhere perfectly normal. ive even dropped mine from the stand a time or two.

id definatley take it turkey hunting, you dont actually range the gobbler when hes there, this would spook the bird, you just range trees or clumps of grass around you so you have a feel for your maximum range.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SoggyCereal

Wouldn't work for turkey hunting, too much movement.
A bit of a goofy reply, IMHO.You most generally will be ranging landmarks within your effective shooting range, NOTtrying torange individual target animals, that style will eventually cost you shot opson game.

In myopinion, I consider a rangefinder one of THE most important pieces of equipment for allof my hunting, especiallysince 95% of my hunting is with a bow. I don't venture into the woods without it.

For a cheaper rangefinder, the Nikon model seems to get much more impressive reviews than the cheaper Bushnell models.

Good luck and good huntin'
Old 04-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sour01

I bought a Nikon 440 and find it quite useful, even turkey hunting. As others have said--I range some landmarks so I'll know when ole tom is in lethal range.
Ditto!!!

Quick Reply: Are rangefinders worth the money?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.