Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is Federal worth the money? >

Is Federal worth the money?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is Federal worth the money?

Old 11-13-2003, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default Is Federal worth the money?

I do not reload yet. I am tring to sight in a rifle. A friend of mine always uses the Winchester brand Amo its 1/2 price compared to Federal Premimum. Is federal that much better? Will my groups be tighter with federal?
Old 11-13-2003, 09:03 AM

Default RE: Is Federal worth the money?

If your friend is getting good accuracy and bullet performance, who could argue?

I' d say trust your friend and give the winchesters a try.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Every gun is differnet, but my sons .243 will put 3 federal shots into an inch square on the sighting in target that you can cover with a dime. I do hand load and haven' t come close to that .....YET ! BTW it' s a NEF youth rifle w/a 4x Bushnell
Old 11-13-2003, 09:46 AM

You should shop around and compare prices. Almost everywhere that I shop the prices are similar with Winchester ammo normally a $1 or so higher per box when loaded with comparable bullets. You' ll never find factory ammo loaded with premium type bullets at the same price as those loaded with standard soft points.

Personnally I' ve found Federal ammo to be accurate in most of my rifles. When I hunt with my 270 I normally use the Federal 130gr BT load. My 280 likes the Winchester 140gr Silvertips better.

Old 11-13-2003, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

They say most rifles prefer one brand over another. However, I' ve had lots of bad luck with Remington cheap ammo. Don' t get me wrong, I am an avid Rem. fan, just their green box ammo has never performed well for me or any of my friends. We all use the Federal Premium ammo, seems to be the most accurate of any of the stuff we' ve tried. Since I handload I roll my own but even then I get better accuracy with the Federal brass than the Rem. brass I have.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes. It' s great ammo. Before I handloaded, I used Federal Premium the most. To me, a lot of it comes down to what type of bullet you' re looking for. If you want a Trophy Bonded or Nosler, you' re not buying Remington green box or the generic Winchesters.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-13-2003, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Basically it comes down to this
winchester super X 150 NP $12
or
Federal primiun 150 NP for 24
is it worth the money?
Old 11-13-2003, 11:16 AM

Hi bigbuck270,

Whether or not the price difference is " worth it" to you depends upon a number of factors. First let me say that most of the Federal Premium Ammunition I have used is extremely good stuff. (I used alot of it in Alaska with Nosler Partitions.) Next I would have to also say that both Winchester and Remington also offer a Premium line as well, (and it is also expensive). But to get to more of the specifics I would now ask you.....What do you intend to use it for? If your answer is deer hunting I would then tell you that nearly all of the current factory ammo available, (assuming you are not talking varmint, target, or full metal jacketed bullets), use bullets that are capable of cleaning killing a deer! Next I would tell you if you don' t want to spend more...try some of the less expensive ammo. If it shoots well in your rifle....you DON' T need premium ammunition! You could buy twice as much of the less expensive ammo and shoot more practicing. A very " good" return on your investment!

If you have larger, and or tougher, game on the agenda....then the premium bullets might well be worth the expense. (Though lots of big, tough, animals have been cleanly killed with Corelokts, Power-Points, etc.)

Consider your intended uses....
Decide what you are willing to spend....
Find a load that shoots well in your rifle....
Put the bullet in the right spot....

You' ll be satisfied with the results!

Good luck and best wishes!
Old 11-13-2003, 11:50 AM

To akbound;

(Imagine I' m whispering this) Why are you yelling? Just wondered!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2003, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

My intentions is to take down a deer 200 yards or less. However I want fairly tight groups. I was just wondering if anyone has compared the two. If the goups are an inch difference than I won' t bother spend the money. If its 5 inches then its worth it to me.

Quick Reply: Is Federal worth the money?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.