Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I Need Help With Picking Out A Rifle >

I Need Help With Picking Out A Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I Need Help With Picking Out A Rifle

Old 08-25-2003, 06:54 PM

Default I Need Help With Picking Out A Rifle

Hello,
I need some help picking out a rifle. My money is down to almost nothing, but I' m going to try to save up for my first rifle. My budget will be very low. At most I am hoping to have $150- $200. I finally have a shotgun, I just need a rifle. The ones I am considering are a Rem. 700 in 30-06 or a Rem.710 in 30-06. Are these good rifle choices? I am only 12 years old. Do you think that I can handle a 30-06? Even though I' m 12 I' m big for my age. I am 5' 7, and weigh 180 pounds. I know I probably won' t have the money before Christmas, but I might have it after. I am telling everyone that I just want money for Christmas. What rifle do you think I should get? I might be able to get a rifle from a friend of mine, but it is doubtful. Are pawn shops a good place to get them. There is a store down here called Old South Trading Company and the person who owns it is a great source of info for anything you needl, but his prices are high. I haven' t been there in a while, so I don' t know what used guns he has. The animals I will be hunting with the rifle are deer and coyote. Is the 30-06 a good caliber choice for the game I will be hunting? I live in West Tennessee so there aren' t a lot of long shots over open areas. It is mainly all wooded areas. If you have any suggestions or opinions I will greatly appreciate them.
Thanks,
Thomas
Old 08-25-2003, 07:16 PM

Default RE: I Need Help With Picking Out A Rifle

Hey Thomas,
I think someone like you would be fine handling a 30-06. Sounds like you are one of them tough southern boys anyway! Consider the H&R Handi-Rifle in that price range. My girlfriend' s brother has one in 30-06 and that thing is a sweet shooter. Picked his up for around 200 dollars new. Other than that, check out www.gunbroker.com, and also search the classifieds on the web for some sweet deals. Good luck buddy!
Old 08-25-2003, 09:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

The H@R/NEF would be a good choice. I just bought one in 280 caliber for 199.00 with a four power scope on it. I have not shot it yet but I have all the loading stuff for it because I had one several years ago. They make it in a 270 as well. Thier site says a 7mm08 is on the way which would also be a good choice. I also have the 243 Ultra NEF and a 223 Synthetic stockes NEF I have never had a problem with any of the six I have had. Walmart can get you one on layawy for a little under 200 for the standard model with synthetic stock. I would go with the synthetic stock as thier are some easy little tune up tricks you can do with them. Let us know if you get one. There is a very good webb site for NEF shooters check into it. H@R talk
Old 08-25-2003, 11:09 PM

Jeff I' m not to far from you (Jackson, TN here). I am not particularly familiar with the pawn shops in Dyersburg but if you dont know what to look for when dealing with used firearms or dont have someone to take with you who does, buying a used gun isnt a good idea. (You are underaged anyway and would have to have an adult purchase the gun for you in the first place.) You will probably spend $300+ on just about any used bolt actions from companies like Rem, Win, Ruger etc... And at that price range they will probably have " average" scopes atop them like Tasco, Simmons etc... If you get enough money saved up by the beginning of next year you could possibly buy a brand new Remington 700 ADL (my brother owns the Buck & Bass Sports Centre' s in Memphis and Jackson and I believe they sell them for under $400) But then you wouldnt have a scope for that price. But you could start " small" and get a Tasco 3x9x40 Pronghorn mounted and bore sighted for well under an extra $100. Or you could buy the 710/Bushnell package rifle (or the Savage pkg rifle as well) also. While none of the optics are the best, they would allow you to " learn the basics" and should last you long enough to when you get older and start working regularly, then you could save up for better optics.
Thats why I would recommend the ADL. In either a ' 06 or 7mag you would have a rifle that will kill 90% of the worlds game under a majority of conditions in a rifle that will last you a lifetime. Plus it is accurate enough to merit placing better optics on it in the future.

Good luck and if I can help let me know: [email protected]
RA
Old 08-26-2003, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stay away from the Rem 710. Terrible trigger, terrible bolt, terrible fit and finish. In a word, its just terrible. You would be much better served with a Savage or an H&R/NEF.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeffgordon...I copied my reply from your other post in the firearm review forum

A .30-06 is a good all around choice, but for what you will be hunting...there may be better options. You might want to look at a .260, .270, or 7mm-8...these probably offer a little more versatility in lower bullet weights. All would perform excellent on deer. A far as recoil goes, yes you are big enough to handle any of those...but it' s more mind over matter. You need to make sure you can handle them mentally. It doesn' t matter how big you are, if you are the least bit recoil shy...you will suffer big time in accuracy. Try and find someone with a gun of these cal, and shoot it and see how you do. The .260 and 7mm-08 have fairly low recoil.
As far as guns....stay away from the rem 710. It' s junk. The rem 700 adl is a nice gun, and reasonably priced...(around $350) but not really in your price range. Savage makes nice reasonable guns as well, but still not in the price range youre talking about. If you are dead set on spending $200 or less, your options are limited. You can look at H&R/NEF single shot rifles...they are nice and won' t break the bank. Pawn shops are hit or miss. If you don' t know alot you can get burned. There are some good used guns out there, but also some real junk. If you know someone selling a gun, that may be an option too.

I think you may be better off waiting a while and saving up some and getting what you want(new). Also, don' t forget optics. You will need to spend some $ on a decent scope....I recommend not buying a cheap one. Good luck, hope this helps some.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:15 AM

I' m not sure why everyone says that the Rem 710 is junk. I own one in 270, and my sister has one in 30-06. Both of us are happy with them. Granted they' re not as nice as the 700s, but they aren' t meant to be. They' re meant to be a cheap gun for the begginers and low budget folks. If they made them in calibers larger than 30-06, I' d look at getting another one to hunt elk with. My 270 is light enough that I don' t mind carrying all day hunting, is pretty accurate, and has almost no recoil.

Just my .02
Old 08-26-2003, 06:25 PM

.30-06 works fine for elk.