Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Picking new Lab Pup

Old 12-01-2003, 10:15 AM

Default Picking new Lab Pup

I' m picking a new lab pup out of a litter with a great pedigree. There are a couple of pups I' m really looking at. This is an all black litter. One of the females I am interested has one toenail that is white - not the whole toe just the toenail.

This may sound stupid but is this a big deal? Will the toenail turn to black or will it remain white? Does this mean anything with the dog regarding the genes other than it has a white toenail?

Any other suggestions in how to pick a pup are also greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-01-2003, 10:54 AM

Default RE: Picking new Lab Pup

If the dog is showing some fetch, seems to be smart, and comes from good stock, I would put some black paint on its toe and take it home. I like to see lots of retrieve in the puppies. In my opinion a pup that likes to retrieve and has that drive, ends up keeping that drive. When I picked out my hunting dogs, I always took a grouse or quail wing with me. The pup that showed the most interest, and brought it back the most when thrown, went home with me. I have not had any bad picks yet.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:36 AM

I wouldn' t worry about the toenail, it dosen' t matter. As far as picking the right pup, ask 10 different people and you will get 10 different answers...just roll the dice and see what comes up My last pup I picked by letting all the females out of their pen and let them calm down. I then sat down on the grass some distance away and clapped and whistled. The one that came to me first, I took home and have been VERY satisfied with. Enjoy your new pup!

YLM
Old 12-02-2003, 07:06 PM

Dont worry about the toe...worry about the training. Anyone from Oregon know where some good black Lab puppies for sale are? the best waterfowleing Lab that I have ever owned is 14 1/2 and not long for this world. I have owned 5 Labs and only want black and yellows. i need to buy a pup before April so I have time to look...hello Oregonians.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:51 PM

whtelk,
I tried to PM you but it crashed. There is a breeder I train with and I can highly recommed her dogs. PM me if you have more questions. The Gem X Sundae will be some great pups, looks and talent.

Here is her webpage.

http://www.windriverlabs.com/windriver_000003.htm

Tell her JMAC sent ya...

Good luck,
JMAC
Old 12-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is how my wife and I chose our black lab (Nitro). We had all the pups out of the pen. The pups were gathered around us but there was one in particular that stayed with us no matter where we went or what we did. That's the one we took home with us.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:13 PM

I choose the pup that was the first to break out of the pen I thought it showed a strong headed, extremely smart dog. I was right. I love him.