Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
getting your gun rights back after a class d felony dui >

getting your gun rights back after a class d felony dui

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

getting your gun rights back after a class d felony dui

Old 12-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
She does know how to use a bow.
Then she should be grateful.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know someone who got three DUIs in three years. There last one was 2001. They have been clean for just over a year and would like to get there right to hunt with a gun back. Is this even possible in Indiana. How hard is it and how can they get the right back.
I normaly would say a felon is a felon but i am not sure that if someone has had a few duis and now has stopped drink that there is still a just cause to keep there gun rights.
What do you think.
After 8 yrs since his last dui I think he has shown signs that he can be rehabilitated. He has been sober for over a year and I think he can be mainstreamed. What are you going to do, take this guys drivers license and hunting license and fishing license and expect him to make something of his life without being a burden. Its been 8 years and he has paid his dues. I say give him another chance with certain limititations. I think we all have made some stupid decisions in life but we just didn't get caught, or at least I didn't. You grow up along the way so I say give him a chance. (Just my Judge Judy decision)

Bobby
Old 12-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=homers brother;3519048][quote=nyorange;3518986]Pretty soon a parking ticket will prohibit you from owning a gun if we continue along the current status quo.

Not likely.

3 DUIs in one year? What an extraordinary example of self-control and discipline, not to mention respect for the law. And you wish this person to retain firearms?

The headline reads, "The victim had been arrested three times last year for DUI. Law enforcement officials have yet to rule his gunshot death as a suicide or as accidental."

Years back, a friend's teenage son and a buddy decided to tie one on while the parents were away. Oh, and go hunting the next morning. Somewhere in the drunken stupor, the buddy shot my friend's son in the head with a hunting rifle. He, of course, died.

Nah, but alcohol is only dangerous if you drive.

Think again.
If you reread the post it was 3 over a 3yr period, not 3 in 1 yr.

Bobby
Old 12-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nyorange
Its kind of strange that alot of you feel that a person with three DWI should be barred from owning a firearm forever when you consider that DWI are completely unrelated to firearm safety. What are the chances that this guy would go on a drunken rampage and injure someone with a gun?
I respect your opinion, and agree, to a degree. I'm not talking about drunken rampages. Alcoholics drink. Most drink every day, at all hours of the day. I'm not condemning them, I actually feel sorry for them. So here's the (likely) equation: alcoholic, drinking every day + loaded gun (I presume he's not buying it for a wall-hanger) + shooting the loaded gun = danger for anyone within range.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Banned

I would think at this point she should be more worried about her drivers license than a hunting license. Some places you cant have one without the other.

And maybe a job too, unless its at a bar.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know someone who got three DUIs in three years. There last one was 2001. They have been clean for just over a year and would like to get there right to hunt with a gun back.

I think the most glaring thing here is that the last DUI was in 2001... and it took 7 more years for her to go sober.

You can look at it a couple different ways....

1) Nothing has changed at all... and she just hasn't gotten caught.

2) She finally grew up or found religion or whatever.... but its still only been a year.

3) Maybe she changed after the first one and had some legitimate issues with addiction. I personally have trouble finding sympathy for such things, but everyone does make mistakes and to an extent I believe they deserve a second chance. Over time, with a proven record, trust can, in my opinion, be restored fully (or at least it should be).

Again though, the only glaring thing in my mind was that after 3 DUIs in 3 years she couldn't connect the dots and realize that she had a substance abuse problem. And knowing that, having only had a year pass.... I think we need to see at least another 6 years of sobriety before I'm buyin it.