HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - getting your gun rights back after a class d felony dui
Old 12-05-2009, 07:06 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
I know someone who got three DUIs in three years. There last one was 2001. They have been clean for just over a year and would like to get there right to hunt with a gun back.

I think the most glaring thing here is that the last DUI was in 2001... and it took 7 more years for her to go sober.

You can look at it a couple different ways....

1) Nothing has changed at all... and she just hasn't gotten caught.

2) She finally grew up or found religion or whatever.... but its still only been a year.

3) Maybe she changed after the first one and had some legitimate issues with addiction. I personally have trouble finding sympathy for such things, but everyone does make mistakes and to an extent I believe they deserve a second chance. Over time, with a proven record, trust can, in my opinion, be restored fully (or at least it should be).

Again though, the only glaring thing in my mind was that after 3 DUIs in 3 years she couldn't connect the dots and realize that she had a substance abuse problem. And knowing that, having only had a year pass.... I think we need to see at least another 6 years of sobriety before I'm buyin it.