Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Scope & Mounts >

Scope & Mounts

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope & Mounts

Old 12-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Spike

Default Scope & Mounts

I have a Rem 700 LSS. I'd like to mount a scope on it that would closely match the stainless steel barrel. I'm considering the Nikon Monarch in "Silver". Anyone have a suggestion as to what comes close to the finish on my Rem SS barrel? ....and Howabout the bases and rings?
Would appreciate any of your experiences in this area.

Thanks......
Old 12-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nikon or leupold optics and accessories won't let you down. Myself, I wouldn't get too hyped about a tad clash of hue, any silver scope will look fine. Any black scope would be an attractive addition, too.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I contemplated the same thing, and decided on black because, as any woman will tell you if you ask her, black goes with everything... except navy blue, which apparently is bad... very, VERY BAD! (Source: my wife).

With a black scope, your rifle will look something like this:

The rings are Burris Signature rings and bases in silver, which do not exactly match the rifle (they're a little too dark). My plan is to replace the rings and bases with Warne rings and bases, and they will be black.

Mike
Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nikons are good scopes.I like leupold scopes,rings,and bases,thats what i have on my 700 in 243.Nice lookin rifle there driftrider,what caliber is it?
Old 12-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

257 Weatherby Mag

Mike
Old 12-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, just put a black on on there, also then if you ever put it on another rifle it'll look fine, or if you ever go to sell it, I think it would be easier to get rid of a black scope than a silver one.

I don't think a black scope looks bad on a stainless barrel anyway.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Anyone have a suggestion as to what comes close to the finish on my Rem SS barrel?
Absolutely nothing. IMO nothing looks worse than a stainless rifle with a bright silver scope and gold tinted nickle plated rings and bases.

Get a black matte scope and black matte bases and rings.

If you go with silver the scope will be much shinier than the stainless steel your rifle is made with and the rings and bases will very likely be another shade of "silver"... Leupold silver rings have a gold tint to them.

If you do decide to go against our great advice and get a silver scope then get DNZ products rings as the are made of hardened aluminum and will be very close to the color of the scope.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

DNZ's are light years ahead of Talley LW's.

Thank me now, thank me later but you will want to thank me.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stick,
Not favoring the QDs this time?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get a black matte scope and black matte bases and rings.
I concur.

Driftrider's wife is spot on everything goes with black! It's always in style too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.