Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
getting your gun rights back after a class d felony dui >

getting your gun rights back after a class d felony dui

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

getting your gun rights back after a class d felony dui

Old 12-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck having a felony and getting your gun rights back.

There are plenty of felons out there who should have gun rights, ie their crime has nothing to do with violence or a weapon.

I 2nd the learn to shoot a bow and in your friends lifetime perhaps something will happen to allow him his gun rights back, but it sounds very bleak.

Would probably be easier for him to get pardoned than get his gun rights back.

Also sure having your gun rights in your home state reinstated would be great, but what good is going through all that trouble and then not being able to travel across this country or to another state to hunt?

Tell him to get on the NRA's back about this issue.

I have a feeling people could care less about whether or not a felon should get his gun rights back, whether right or wrong.

Personally I think it's going to take a wealthy felon to get mauled while hunting, or a victim of violence to his home/family to sue the gov't and say they're liable since they prevented him the right to protect himself and his family and of course win the case!

I wonder about all these "sexting" cases etc...if maybe they'll shed some light on this issue.

Last edited by salukipv1; 12-03-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Good luck having a felony and getting your gun rights back.

There are plenty of felons out there who should have gun rights, ie their crime has nothing to do with violence or a weapon.

I 2nd the learn to shoot a bow and in your friends lifetime perhaps something will happen to allow him his gun rights back, but it sounds very bleak.

Would probably be easier for him to get pardoned than get his gun rights back.

Also sure having your gun rights in your home state reinstated would be great, but what good is going through all that trouble and then not being able to travel across this country or to another state to hunt?

Tell him to get on the NRA's back about this issue.

I have a feeling people could care less about whether or not a felon should get his gun rights back, whether right or wrong.

Personally I think it's going to take a wealthy felon to get mauled while hunting, or a victim of violence to his home/family to sue the gov't and say they're liable since they prevented him the right to protect himself and his family and of course win the case!

I wonder about all these "sexting" cases etc...if maybe they'll shed some light on this issue.
Ok... I hope I'm missunderstanding you here. You want the NRA to start backing felons having guns???
Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think if the NRA made this an issue, it might get accomplished, without them I'm not sure any felons will ever be able to once again own a firearm, aside from the instance I suggest of an individual sueing the federal gov't and winning.

Of course the idea of a large organization like the NRA trying to help certain felons get their gun rights back is far from PC, so I doubt they'd ever take on such an issue instead they'll just keep trying to drum up new members. I wonder how many felons would join the NRA if they heard the NRA was on their side? talk about an increase to membership....course I'm sure many NRA members would probably cancel their membership once they heard the NRA was trying to get felons gun rights back.

If you're a felon and can't own a firearm anyway, why would you even bother joining the NRA? ie you could never own a firearm again legally, so what would it matter to you if no one else could either?

Originally Posted by IndyHunter83
Ok... I hope I'm missunderstanding you here. You want the NRA to start backing felons having guns???
Old 12-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know a guy who got his rights back after 20 years. Of coarse he didnt loose his to dui felony, but rather fishing with explosives lol. It took a lawyer and a pardon for him to get his rights back though.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

I think if the NRA made this an issue, it might get accomplished, without them I'm not sure any felons will ever be able to once again own a firearm, aside from the instance I suggest of an individual sueing the federal gov't and winning.

Of course the idea of a large organization like the NRA trying to help certain felons get their gun rights back is far from PC, so I doubt they'd ever take on such an issue instead they'll just keep trying to drum up new members. I wonder how many felons would join the NRA if they heard the NRA was on their side? talk about an increase to membership....course I'm sure many NRA members would probably cancel their membership once they heard the NRA was trying to get felons gun rights back.

If you're a felon and can't own a firearm anyway, why would you even bother joining the NRA? ie you could never own a firearm again legally, so what would it matter to you if no one else could either?
Ok, now that I understand what you are saying, could please explain why? I mean I don't think that anyone should ever loose their rights to arms for reasons that aren't just. I belong to the NRA and the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association because of this. But to me there is a certain line that no one should ever cross and in most cases those people who have committed felony crimes are exactly the type of people I wouldn't want having guns because they have crossed that line. Much as in same light I don't agree with someone who is extremely mentally disturbed should possess a firearm. I agree that people can rehabilitate but I'm still warry of this. My worry is also that once you start giving gun rights back to non-violent felony offenders the violent felony offenders will have a legal precidence to get them as well (not that they won't get guns with out them, we all know they will).

Please don't think that I'm trying to offend you or call you out in anyway. I am simply asking you to explain your logic because our logics seem to differ extremely and I like to understand all sides on an issue.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, "most" felons probably are the exact types you don't want to own a firearm, my problem is, a felony can cover such a broad spectrum.

well maybe not most, but the violent, weapon related crime types should be felons who shouldn't own a firearm.

Seems nowadays everyone wants to try kids as adults, and personally just because you're 18 doesn't mean you're an adult I feel, sure some kids who are 16 have more life experience probably than some who are 30, that's essentially my point, these naive kids living in suburbia might be over 18, but hardly streetwise or an adult.

I guess it's a small percentage but none the less it exists and just makes me angry, ie a good kid, never been in trouble in his life, happens to be over 18 and the first mistake they make happens to make them a felon, and therefore can never own a gun again. So you have in my mind a good person who made one mistake in their life and now can no longer gun hunt or own a firearm for some totally unrelated crime essentially. I guess its the punishment doesn't fit the crime sorta thing.

Originally Posted by IndyHunter83
Ok, now that I understand what you are saying, could please explain why? I mean I don't think that anyone should ever loose their rights to arms for reasons that aren't just. I belong to the NRA and the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association because of this. But to me there is a certain line that no one should ever cross and in most cases those people who have committed felony crimes are exactly the type of people I wouldn't want having guns because they have crossed that line. Much as in same light I don't agree with someone who is extremely mentally disturbed should possess a firearm. I agree that people can rehabilitate but I'm still warry of this. My worry is also that once you start giving gun rights back to non-violent felony offenders the violent felony offenders will have a legal precidence to get them as well (not that they won't get guns with out them, we all know they will).

Please don't think that I'm trying to offend you or call you out in anyway. I am simply asking you to explain your logic because our logics seem to differ extremely and I like to understand all sides on an issue.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Better learn how to shoot a bow IMO. First time F me, second time F you... Should have learned the first time.

There are quite a few states (and I believe IN is one of them if I recall) that a fellon may not own a bow or Muzzleloader in either.

The definition of a 'firearm' or 'weapon' per state law varies quite naturally from state to state. Frequently there are clauses which directly prohibit felons from owning any time of 'projectile' weapon at all. Doesn't mean he can't go buy one, because who would know but him.... but he best not be caught with it.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

FWIW....

I sell and deal in firearms and archery for a living.

I had a guy who messed up when he was younger come in and want to buy a handgun. He'd been busted 15 years ago for assault and battery or something like that.... he was young... and he kinda got rail-roaded.

As he put it, and he checked with his PO and his lawyer, that you are eligible to petition the courts for your rights back after 7 years of a clean record after the end of your probation. Something like that.

He wanted to buy a firearm, and I told him straight up that I had no problem with him filling out the paperwork, but for his sake, he best make damn sure he was right. And he was.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

hire a lawyer and be ready to be denied several times before being approved.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

I totally agree with you. There are cases where the punishment doesn't fit the crime. I would consider those to be cases where it should be possible, but I still feel that if we do allow those (sadly exceeding more numerous) cases where the punishment does not fit the crime get their rights back for firearms then it just gives those people where the punishment doesn't fit the crime in the other directions (too light of punishment) and others a way to get theres. We've gotten off on a tangent here. In this case, I think the punishment does fit the crime and its therefore ok with me that a person who has 3 dui in 3 years cannot own or possess a firearm.

I agree, "most" felons probably are the exact types you don't want to own a firearm, my problem is, a felony can cover such a broad spectrum.

well maybe not most, but the violent, weapon related crime types should be felons who shouldn't own a firearm.

Seems nowadays everyone wants to try kids as adults, and personally just because you're 18 doesn't mean you're an adult I feel, sure some kids who are 16 have more life experience probably than some who are 30, that's essentially my point, these naive kids living in suburbia might be over 18, but hardly streetwise or an adult.

I guess it's a small percentage but none the less it exists and just makes me angry, ie a good kid, never been in trouble in his life, happens to be over 18 and the first mistake they make happens to make them a felon, and therefore can never own a gun again. So you have in my mind a good person who made one mistake in their life and now can no longer gun hunt or own a firearm for some totally unrelated crime essentially. I guess its the punishment doesn't fit the crime sorta thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.