Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 H&R ultra slug? >

H&R ultra slug?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R ultra slug?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:16 AM
Spike

Default H&R ultra slug?

Is the H&R ultra slug 20 guage really that good? I've seen alot of possitive feedback here and the guy at the gun shop was like "get this gun, this is what everyone is shooting". My only concern is that it's a one shot gun. I know, that shouldn't matter for deer hunting, I would just rather havea pump. It looks like H&R is now making a pump slug gun with a scope mount. Anyone have one of those? Also, how about the Mossberg 500 slug in 20 guage? Thanks, I want to pick one of these up soon.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:51 AM

Default RE: H&R ultra slug?

All are excellent firearms, you just have to pick which flavor you like best.
If it was I, I should like to getthe Savage 210 Bolt action shotgun. 3 rounds on board, rifled barrel, receiver tapped for scope mounts and it comes in a spiffie camo stock if that's your desire.
However if your trying to keep as many pesos in the piggy bank as you can, try the H&R/NEF Ultra Slug, we sell a bunch of those and everyone loves em'. I especially like the thumbhole stock model(p/n SB1-T92).
One of our customers drug a target in here that had 5 holes in it you could cover with a coke can, said his son did that with one of those Ultra Slugs at 100 yards using Hornady SST shotgun slugs. That's what he said!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

They can be real shooters. I had one in 12ga. It's gone now as I've been able to go with a rifle, but it WILL definitely put the smack down on deer.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my H&R in 20ga. using Hornady SST slugs. Other hunters questioned me on why a single shot, my answer to them was you bow hunt and muzzleload hunt like me don't you? I had the Mossberg 500 in 20ga. it was a good shotgun, just not as accurate as my H&R
Old 04-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

I have the USHD in 20 ga. Shot my first deer with a shotgun this year. The doe was at about 30 yards which obviously wasn't a tough shot. I was using the SST's, but eventually found inconsistant groups from the SST's. Every bunch shot different no matter if they were out of the same lot. I guess every gun shoots different. I would love to find a round that shoots as consistant as the Remingtoncoppersolids out of mine at 100 yards, but the consistancy can't be beat. Again, all guns are different. The Lightfields also shot well, but dropped quick at 100.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

We now have 3 USHs.

I bought my 12 deluxe way back. Fell in love immediately for it's accuracy. Some deer just come in and surrender. Then eventually bought a 20 and then another. All fitted with straight up 4X scopes and aftermarket slings.

They are all extrememly accurate.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 on the accuracy for the H&R. With the right ammo, the 20 gauge is as accurate as many rifles out to 100 yards or so. My hunting buddy has taken many deer with his- some at 120 yards+ - 1 shot, 1 kill.

If you're primarily sitting in a stand or a blind when hunting, I think it's the way to go. If your style of hunting tends more towards setting up deer drives (i.e. having a lot of moving targets) a pump gun might be a better choice.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

This year I decided to pick one up in 20g flavor. I couldn't resist it any longer, my 11-87 will be on backup duty[8D]

For the price, you really can't beat it. Can't wait to get it back from the smith and hit the range.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:22 AM
Spike

Thanks alot for the advice. I'm still trying to decide whether to geta slug gun or a nicer muzzleloader and just use that. My only reservation now about the slug gun is the price of the ammo.