Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Long Range advice?? >

Long Range advice??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Long Range advice??

Old 12-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Long Range advice??

This is what helped me. First I set my goal to be 1MOA or better. And I set my maximum at500 yards. I have access to a range that has a several stations out to 1000 meters.I got into hand loading. I sent my rifle, a Remingtom 700 in 300 Win. Magnum, off to have it "accurized". This work ended up including squaring up the bolt, trigger job to 2.5#, pillar bedding the action, and recrowning the factory barrel.I discarded the economy scope and went with a top of the line Zeiss. I bought a good range finder. Made me some "Africa" tripod shooting sticks. I got my hands on books about long range shooting, though these were covering distances I never intend to try - 1000 yards out or longer, I figured the info would apply to shorter distances as well!?!

I worked up a great load byspendinghourson the range testing for the best grouping load. My final choice was a 180 gr., Partition that would group at about .5 MOA.

I figured that the "range" and the "field" being sonotthe same conditions that I'd best shoot in as realistic a setting as I could manage. Iwent to a friend's farm where safe shots into hillsides can be taken out to about 400 yards. I made me a few "deer cut outs" and shot from several positions, intentionally chosing cold - hot - windy - drizzling - etc., weather. I did all of this in prep for a mule deer hunt in Eastern Montana. When my buddy and I finally spotted a good buck, it ranged just at 325 yards. That is about 5 times the average shots I get hunting here in SE Alabama. One shot .. it was done.