Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Long Range advice?? >

Long Range advice??

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Long Range advice??

Old 12-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Long Range advice??

Learn how to improve your skills at spotting and stocking closers without detection where you don't put yourself into that position of "long range" shot is the better choice of time well spent for ethical hunters.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerMike

Unbelievable?
If you can't get closer to game than 500yards?
Change your stalking tactics?
Just my opinion?
Now if your target shooting ONLY, then that is a different story,HOWEVER some think that just because their target rifle with group at 500,600,700, ... They can take game in adverse conditions the same way? NOT!
Get real it ain't going to happen, PERIOD!!!
Your just going to miss or worst yet, wound game animals.
Please reconsider your options?!?

You've never been to the plains in SD, you can see deer for 2 miles in WIDE OPEN territory here.... I shot my rifle deer this year at 516 yards with my 7mm Rem Mag. There is no stalking unless you can sneak on a fully alert deer in FLAT ground with no cover and snow....

Then again, I shoot more at 300+ yards preparing for season than most guys spend sighting in their rifles. I have no objection to shooting past 500 yards, becuase I know when I squeeze off a round its a dead critter at the end of my barrel.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rammer, I know exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes you just can't get close. And I will still stick by by guns and say that no one should attempt any shot they are not comfortable with.I too practice at 300 and sometimes 400 yds. Especially on a year when I will be going on a western hunt. The open prarie county can make stalking difficult at times and it seems like the wind is always blowing. And its my opinion that the wind is a much more difficult aspect to overcome than holdover.
For those of you that want a good read on the effects of wind. Check this site out. http://www.6mmbr.com/Winddrift.html

Old 12-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: CarpetBagger

Number one thing is you have to take alot of things into account shooting long range. Altitude, cross winds, hold over, ect...

With my 270 I have it sighted in at 2" High at 100...You basically just square up on the animal and pull the trigger out to almost300yrds which is an oddity of a shot in the woods here in western PA. I have shot a few Doe out to almost 200 across a field, but 300yrds is a hell of a longshot.

1st thing to do probaly would be to banish that simmons scope from your gun and get yourself a quality set of optics if you want to shoot 500yrds.

Practice...just a thought...Ive never shot 500yrds nor wanted to. We had a 19 year old kid here take a shot at a deer here about a week ago he missed and it hit another hunter in the head killing him.....not a very smart idea no deer alive is worth another human beings life. IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE TAKING THE SHOT WITH THE CONFIDENCE TO PROVIDE A FAST CLEAN KILL TO THE ANIMAL YOU ARE HUNTING....DO NOT SHOOT!
What????

We are talking about long range shooting here. Your talking about hitting another person??? Goodness gracious, what has this page turned into.
The kid hunting took a shot at a deer at over 500yrds away...the shot that killed the man was a spotter shot he fired...I think if you are going to be long range hunting you should be doing it on a property with little hunting pressure and no hunters in case you screw up. Your little "experimenting" could lead to this type of situation...

I dont knock long range hunting, i just think like all the other ethical BS that goes on here it has its place and situations.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry
Last time I checked it was a free country to give an opinion on a subject. I quess I was wrong!?
And I didn't slam you personally, just have different hunting ethics than some do?
Old 12-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

I never said I couldn't 'do it' as you put it Mr. Spaniel. In fact I have. And if you read my first post in its entirety you would have seen that I said you should get closer and without practice no one should attempt a shot over 300 yds, especially with any wind. That mulie in my previous post was taken with a single shot from my 270 at a ranged 437 yds. I've also taken whitetails and antelope out to 375 yds.
You misinterpreted my post. And to repeat - no one should ever take shots they have not practiced on at game no matter what the cost of the hunt or how big the animal. We have enough pressure from the anti hunting community as it is. And to take a shot where the chance of wounding and not recovering an animal exceeds the chance for a humane kill then the shot should not be taken. But this decision can only be made by the person whose finger is on the trigger.
I penned a long post specifically to point out how difficult it is and how much equipment it takes to do it right. Essentially I was agreeing with you that it can be done but it takes a lot of preparation then. If we were more in agreement than disagreement I apologize, it appeared you were jumping on the I-can't-do-it-so-you-shouldn''t-either bandwagon.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

spaniel, get a new spotter, if he couldn't see the impacts something is wrong, the deer I shot last week was 1,350 yards and I watched the impact through the scope.
RR
So you're shooting a much smaller animal, which probably reacted to the hit, on totally different terrain, and making the long leap to the conclusion that my spotter is an idiot. My spotter has taken all but one species of Montana big game, including one of the state's largest ever bighorn rams with a bow and is a very respected and accomplished hunter. When an 800lb animal shows absolutely no reaction to several hits and the bullet ground impacts into the mountainside are hidden behind him, there is nothing to see. The first time I actually missed, he picked it up immediately.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

Learn how to improve your skills at spotting and stocking closers without detection where you don't put yourself into that position of "long range" shot is the better choice of time well spent for ethical hunters.
Mr. Minnesota, have you ever hunted out west??

There are some who purposely go out and try to set up 1000 yard shots. I'm not discussing that scenario, but the scenario of finding yourself in a position where you can't get closer and being comfortable at what some would consider long range. You and others are making the unfounded conclusion that those who take a long shot lack the ability to stalk. There is no basis for that. Some situations don't allow for a stalk...like a bull elk up on top of a wide-open mountain where a stalk would be a 2-3 mile circle, 2-3 hour affair and he's not going to stay there that long. That isn't a skill issue.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but just because all you practice is your local 100 yd range and you can't imagine shooting over 300 yards don't get surprised when someone who regularly shoots to 800 yards isn't receptive to you questioning their 500 yard shots, hunting ability, and ethics.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: spaniel

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but just because all you practice is your local 100 yd range and you can't imagine shooting over 300 yards don't get surprised when someone who regularly shoots to 800 yards isn't receptive to you questioning their 500 yard shots, hunting ability, and ethics.
SPANIEL!
I never said I only shot or practiced at 100yards. I actually shoot at shorter yardages as well with my bow and 22 pistols. Oh that's right I squirrel hunt ONLY with a 22 pistol.
Sorry that is under your 500 yard range as well.[&o][&o]
Sometimes, maybe instead of running your mouth, you might want to take in some knowledge, you don't have?

Just a thought?[]

Oh by the way that was personal[8D]
Old 12-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

My reason for posting this question wasn't because I couldn't get closer to the animals. I am perfectly capable(sp) of getting within range most of the time. In fact the past few weeks I've gotten within 20 yards of countless does and a few bucks that I passed while archery hunting, closest one was probably 8 yards laying in a fencline and stalked into the wind right up to him, but he took off right from his bed before I could get him to stand.

It's the challenge, that and like Rammer and Bronco have stated, if the situation ever arrose where for some reason you can't get closer (deer's standing out in the the middle of a stubble field or something) I would rather be prepared. I'm just interested in long range shooting, if you're not then what are you doin reading the post other than to start an argument????

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Quick Reply: Long Range advice??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.