Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Re-fininshing Stock >

Re-fininshing Stock

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Re-fininshing Stock

Old 12-22-2008, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Re-fininshing Stock

Well, i have stripped down the stock of an old .22 I have. I have looked into finishes and tru-oil seems to be the standard. I would really like to just walk in to my local hardware store and buy something there. Can you guys recommend and brand and finish for the stock. It's mahogany wood by the way.I would like to keep it in the lighter side in color.

Thanks
Adam
Old 12-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Re-fininshing Stock

A good, clear polyurethane spray applied in light coats and light-sanded between coats should give you what you are looking for, as I understand your question. There are many, many choices of finish types available, and methods people use with them. The polyurethane finish is probably one of the quickest ones around, and will give a quite serviceable and pleasing finish if you take just a little time with it.
It should be available at most any hardware store around under various brand names.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help. I just finished stripping and sanding last night. How many coates of poly do you think I should put on?[/align][/align]Thanks[/align]Adam[/align]
Old 12-23-2008, 08:46 AM
bigcountry

You know, I have sealed stocks with all kinds of things, from linseed, to tung oil, and wonder why people don't use marine sparring varnish or poly on gunstocks. Tung oil and linseed are very delicate.

I took some advise from stalkingbear and releived the pressure in a forearm on my 45-70 yesterday. And I put 3 coats of poly on the exposed wood. Its what I had on hand. And 1st want to see if it helps the gun.

Anyone have any input on poly?

Old 12-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

You know, I have sealed stocks with all kinds of things, from linseed, to tung oil, and wonder why people don't use marine sparring varnish or poly on gunstocks. Tung oil and linseed are very delicate.

I took some advise from stalkingbear and releived the pressure in a forearm on my 45-70 yesterday. And I put 3 coats of poly on the exposed wood. Its what I had on hand. And 1st want to see if it helps the gun.

Anyone have any input on poly?
bc....Minwax has a product out called "Helmsman". It's a spar urethane. I used it most recently on the .243 Ackley that I stocked in English walnut. It turned out great. If you wish, PM me your address again, as I've lost it. I'll send you a couple of pictures of it.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's what I suggest. Youve have the stock sanded now. Take a steaming hot , wet towel and wipe the stock off throughly, then let it dry. Let it dry throughly. Sand one more time with very, very fine steel wool .... 000 or finer.The "hot towel" will raise the grain. The fine wool will knock down the raised grain, leaving a super slick surface.

If you want to stain, now is the time. Very, very lightly apply stainthat matches the natural wood color. Again let it dry. Rub the surface hard and vigorously with a cotton T-Shirt or towel. This should remove any excess stain.

I do not care for high gloss, so I use a flat of semi gloss polyeurathane ( I use a spray can) to coat the stock very lightly. Let dry and sand gently with the fine steel wool. Wipe off with a clean cotton cloth, being sure to remove any steel wool thatmight have embedded in the grain. Repeat 4-5 times. You will end up with a durable,multi coatfinish that lets the wood show through.

Whatever you do, be sure that the poly is 100% dry beforeapplying a follow up coat.If you do not, you will end up with a sticky mess and be forced to start over.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Spike

Use poly urethane if you like the plastic look. Hand rubbed oil finish to bring out the beauty of the wood.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: smj617

Use poly urethane if you like the plastic look. Hand rubbed oil finish to bring out the beauty of the wood.
The final coat of poly can be knocked down with 0000 grade steel wool, being extremely careful to avoid putting deep scratches in the finish. Very easily and lightly is the key here. When the finish is uniformly dulled, a good grade of automotive paste wax should be applied and buffed by hand. It will produce a soft, satin sheen with the hard durability of poly.
There are many, many ways to finish stocks. This is just one I'm happy with........ Also, the hot, wet towel method of raising the grain suggested earlier is a good method, and well worth using.