Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Long Range advice?? >

Long Range advice??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Long Range advice??

Old 12-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Long Range advice??

SDarcher, I have all the loading stuff for your 270 as well. We could always work up a few handloads if you really wanted to try some long range, whizz bangers... Hopefully the darn weather warms up a lil bit.....
Old 12-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds great Rammer, yeah I would welcome a little nicer weather, especially for this afternoon. I'm going out to sit in the stand again this afternoon hoping to catch that big boy off gaurd, should be nice and chilly!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SDarcher

Like Bocajnala, I am looking to extend my effective range and hoped I could get some advice form the accomplished shooters on here. Right now I'm shooting a Winchester Model 70 .270 with a Simmons 3-9x40 scope and a 150 grain Winchester cartridge. I guess I'm wandering whereto start (other than to keep practicing) ir order to achieve that goal. Would improving my setup as far as upgrading the scope, reloading, etc be the place to start?. I would love to eventually be able to get to that 500 yard range. Right now I'd be comfortable to about 300 yards.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give!
-SDarcher
I believe for starters, I'd get a better scope, and start loading my own ammo. The Sierra 150-grain PSPBT bullet is a very good long-range .270 projectile, as are the Nosler BT's and Accubonds.

There are still no flies on the .270 Win. as a long-range cartridge, especially when good bullets are handloaded to optimum performance levels. I would try Norma MRP1 powder, as you can get more of it into a case than some of the other slow powders. Anywhere from 57 to maybe even as much as 62 grains of it will give you some very high velocities. But of course start low & stop increasing the powder charge level when you find the most accurate powder charge.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Unbelievable?
If you can't get closer to game than 500yards?
Change your stalking tactics?
Just my opinion?
Now if your target shooting ONLY, then that is a different story,HOWEVER some think that just because their target rifle with group at 500,600,700, ... They can take game in adverse conditions the same way? NOT!
Get real it ain't going to happen, PERIOD!!!
Your just going to miss or worst yet, wound game animals.
Please reconsider your options?!?
Old 12-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Spaniel - yes get closer is easy to say. I did not say easy to do. And FYI I have spent over $700 for a non resident elk tag + outfitter fees - several times and have come home empty handed. Its not getting game that matters. Its how you do it. My last hunt took me 5 hours to make a stalk on a 4x4 mulie until I was finally able to locate him, get within my comfort zone and take the shot.The terrain was so rugged that it took 1 1/2 hrs to get to him after I shot him.
Oh yeah - by the way - I was using a 270 win. with 130 Nosler Ballistic Tips.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

what would you shoot @ 500 yards with a .270.not trying to be a wise guy here but isn't that kinda a light load for that distance?
Old 12-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jerry d

what would you shoot @ 500 yards with a .270.not trying to be a wise guy here but isn't that kinda a light load for that distance?
I do it with a .243...[8D]
Old 12-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerMike

Unbelievable?
If you can't get closer to game than 500yards?
Change your stalking tactics?
Just my opinion?
Now if your target shooting ONLY, then that is a different story,HOWEVER some think that just because their target rifle with group at 500,600,700, ... They can take game in adverse conditions the same way? NOT!
Get real it ain't going to happen, PERIOD!!!
Your just going to miss or worst yet, wound game animals.
Please reconsider your options?!?
I love it, there's always one know-it-all in one of these long range threads. Someone like Mike here who doesn't know squat about long range shooting, probably has a hard enough time hitting the broad side of a deer at 100 yards so thinks everyone else must play by his rules.

Well guess what...my "comfort zone" is 800 YARDS. Mule deer at 438 yards...ranged him, dropped him. One shot. 15 degree upward angle, 10mph crosswind. Elk at 683 yards. Ranged him, pumped several consecutive rounds into him, all lethal hits individually, and drop him within 10 yards of where he was standing for the first shot.

Yeah. You know your stuff, don't you guy. "It ain't going to happen, PERIOD!!!". "Your just going to miss or worst yet, wound game animals.". The quality of your spelling and grammar fit your opinion too.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Spaniel - yes get closer is easy to say. I did not say easy to do. And FYI I have spent over $700 for a non resident elk tag + outfitter fees - several times and have come home empty handed. Its not getting game that matters. Its how you do it. My last hunt took me 5 hours to make a stalk on a 4x4 mulie until I was finally able to locate him, get within my comfort zone and take the shot. The terrain was so rugged that it took 1 1/2 hrs to get to him after I shot him.
Oh yeah - by the way - I was using a 270 win. with 130 Nosler Ballistic Tips.
Well, my hunt took 7 hours just to hike in and out not including the shooting and cleaning time. I hiked out with a pack full of elk backstraps and tenderloin through the heaviest concentration of grizzly bears in the lower 48, in the dark, fighting a 40-60 mph wind sandblasting my face. It took me an hour to get from where I shot him to the carcass too. What's your point? Everyone is supposed to conform to your idea of range or "how to do it?" Were you within 20 yards? If you aren't within bow range some would consider you a slob hunter. Of course why shoot a 270 if you are going to get within bow range. Some think real hunters don't use guns, should I apply that standard to you?

You are looking down on a 500 yard shot because you can't reliably do it. Just admit it. Some people should limit themselves to 100 yard shots (some guys I have met that is giving them too much). Some 200 or 300. Some of us who used to shoot competitively and have a long range in the backyard to practice all the time have no problems shooting 500 yards or further. What qualifies you to judge?

Edited to add: The previous day I had that same bull within 80 yards but could not get a shot as he would not leave the dark timber and I could only see his hooves. I would happily have shot him that close, I was not LOOKING for long shots, just PREPARED for them, there is a distinct difference. I stalked hard for over an hour to get in that position. The next day, my last day, when he presented at 683 yards, it was in a non-stalkable situation. I was not going to leave empty-handed because a couple guys on the internet would whine because they aren't comfortable shooting that far. I am, and proved it.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I never said I couldn't 'do it' as you put it Mr. Spaniel. In fact I have. And if you read my first post in its entirety you would have seen that I said you should get closer and without practice no one should attempt a shot over 300 yds, especially with any wind. That mulie in my previous post was taken with a single shot from my 270 at a ranged 437 yds. I've also taken whitetails and antelope out to 375 yds.
You misinterpreted my post. And to repeat - no one should ever take shots they have not practiced on at game no matter what the cost of the hunt or how big the animal. We have enough pressure from the anti hunting community as it is. And to take a shot where the chance of wounding and not recovering an animal exceeds the chance for a humane kill then the shot should not be taken. But this decision can only be made by the person whose finger is on the trigger.

Quick Reply: Long Range advice??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.