Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 700 Bolt ? >

Remington 700 Bolt ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 Bolt ?

Old 11-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington 700 Bolt ?

Had a light strike this morning on my Remington 700 CDL.270 Win. I recocked the bolt and the gun fired, although the deer was long gone[:@]. Luckily it was a doe and not the buck of a lifetime! Now to my question. I came home, disassembled the bolt and it was a greasy mess. This rifle only has 40 to 50 rounds through it. I will admit that this was the first time I cleaned the inside of the bolt though.

I then cleaned the inside of the bolt and the firing pin assembly with some aerosol brake parts cleaner. I wiped dry and put what I thought was a very light coat of oil on. Reassembled the bolt and put it back in the rifle. I worked the bolt several times and itbecame increasingly tight with each turn of the bolt, so I put a drop of oil at the back of the firing pin asembly and it freed up. I then removed the bolt again and disassembled again because I was afraid I had gotten too much oil in there.After wiping off the excess oil, I putjust a little TW-25B on the threads of the shroud and the bolt really seems slick now. What specifically needs lube(if any)on this part of the rifle? It obviously needs a little to keep things working smooth?
Old 11-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remington 700 Bolt ?

Actually the bolt does not need any 'lube' but just anti rust protection. Being that you had it apart, you can see that all it is is basically a spring loaded rod (firing pin) that when cocked the spring is compressed and when the sear is disengagedthe spring tension is released driving the firing pin forward striking the primer. It a simplistic explanation but basically all it is. Too much'lube' will cause the movementof the firing pin to become sluggish, particularly in cold weather and may not have enough force to hit the primer hard enoughto set it off.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Actually the bolt does not need any 'lube' but just anti rust protection. Being that you had it apart, you can see that all it is is basically a spring loaded rod (firing pin) that when cocked the spring is compressed and when the sear is disengagedthe spring tension is released driving the firing pin forward striking the primer. It a simplistic explanation but basically all it is. Too much'lube' will cause the movementof the firing pin to become sluggish, particularly in cold weather and may not have enough force to hit the primer hard enoughto set it off.

Do the threads need a little grease/lube where the shroud threads into the bolt? I'm trying to figure out what caused the bolt lift to become so hard after I had cleaned it. Any ideas?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

The camming surface of the bolt needs just a miniscule amount of lube where the cocking piece rides against it. When you used the brake cleaner you removed any and all lubrication at this location and were rubbing bare metal against bare metal when you cocked the bolt. It would be likebuilding and engineand not using any assembly lube and firing it up.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

The camming surface of the bolt needs just a miniscule amount of lube where the cocking piece rides against it. When you used the brake cleaner you removed any and all lubrication at this location and were rubbing bare metal against bare metal when you cocked the bolt. It would be likebuilding and engineand not using any assembly lube and firing it up.

OK, I see now. Thanks!