Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning A-bolt question..... >

Browning A-bolt question.....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning A-bolt question.....

Old 11-04-2008, 08:48 PM

Default Browning A-bolt question.....

I need help identifying this rifle. I've owned many A-Bolts but have no idea about this one. My father gave mehis A-bolt several years ago right before he died and it was stolen and of course I never got it back. I am wanting to replace it the best I can.It was a 270 A-Bolt stainless stalker purchased in the early 90s. The stock was synthetic, however, it almost had this suede feel to it, it had a completely different feel to it than today's synthetic stock and it had a greyish color to it instead of solid black. It was a softer feeling stock. I do know that is was a Browning stock and not an after market addition.

Any help would be appreciated. Even though I can't replace the sentimental value completely, I would like to get as close as I can. If you know any other forums that may help me find an answer please let me know.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Browning A-bolt question.....

I have pretty much that same rifle and I have never seen a stock of the nature you are referring to.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 AM

I know, its hard for me to describe. However, I did find out this morning from a dealer that bought his father one and it was the first stainless steel rifle out by Browning and they came out in either 1989 or 1990. And of course it was the original A-Bolt and not the A-Bolt II.

Hopefully I can find one
Old 11-05-2008, 01:47 PM

I posted this on another forum and I called and spoke to Browning's historian person. Between the two, this is what I have figured out.

It was an A-Bolt I
It was a graphite/kevlar stock and it had a velvet feel to it.
It was one of the fisrt stainless steel rifles Browning put out in either 89 or 90
They stopped making that stock becuase they were too expensive to mold.

Does anyone know anything else about them???