Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 A question for browning A-bolt Shooters >

A question for browning A-bolt Shooters

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A question for browning A-bolt Shooters

Old 07-10-2005, 05:09 PM

Default A question for browning A-bolt Shooters

Ibought a browningA-bolt hunterin30-06this last week and I will be buyingburris balistic plex scope. I have not been able to shoot it yet. But I was wondering if any of you have ever had any acceracy problems or any sort of malfuctions? Thanks in advance foryour reply's
Old 07-10-2005, 05:46 PM

Default RE: A question for browning A-bolt Shooters

I seriously doubt you will have any accuracy problems or other types of issues with your A-Bolt. It's one of the best mass produced hunting rifles on the market today.

You couldn't buy my A-Bolt even if you paid me twice what I paid for it; just don't let Browning's marketing people know that or they'll raise the price
Old 07-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with popeye on this. I've owned Remintons, Winchesters, Rugers and Brownings. I've yet to have a rifle of any other make that would out shoot my Brownings. Not saying you can't get one that does, and you can certainly have one made to do it, but out of the box you'll be hard pressed. I've never had any problems with any of my rifles of any make.....maybe I'm just lucky based on what I've heard about some brands. Brownings are bedded and free floated to start off with and their triggers aren't terrible. They can easily be tuned to a descent weight by adjusting the trigger spring....or for more advanced and knowledgable folks they can be manipulated in other ways to make them subperb. Here's a pic of a group I shot on Saturday whiel breaking in my barrel. I shot 10 shots cleaning between each one and then fired 3 shot groups cleaning between each for 15 rounds. All shots were taken in haste as light was fading fast and I wanted to get the job done. Cleaning is tedious work and it really sucks to take a fast shot and then take 5 minutes to clean out the copper and powder, but that's what you gotta do.

Old 07-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had an A-bolt. Wouldn't shoot better than 2" at 100 yards with handloads so I sold it and bought a Tikka. Best money I ever spent!

I have to admit I really like Browning and liked my gun. Even managed to get a couple deer with it. Just wanted better accuracy. Plus the bolt on my Tikka slides out like butter in a hot pan, trigger breaks like an icicle, and has an out-of-the-box guarentee of 1 MOA.

My wife still has her A-bolt in 270 Win and it shoots very well. I think they are good mostly but I had a not-so-great one. I even sent it back to Browning and they sent it back saying it was within spec including a 50 yard target w/ 3 shots, about 1 1/4" spread. To me, that's not acceptable but within specs for them I guess.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've put about 1000 rounds or so through my .223. No failures or malfunctions, and it will shoot under 1" with most factory ammo, and much less with Hornady ammo and handloads.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:57 PM

[align=center]No Accuracy Problems Here.
A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker .270
[/align]
Old 07-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned a few abolt and still have SS Stalker chambered in a 270 win in my cabinet. The only thing I did was have the trigger reduced to 3lbs, other than that they have all shot and functioned well.

Enjoy!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

At the range tonight my 300 WSM showed me that it can shoot better than me. I managed a .970" group, but I'm confident the rifle is capable of more. No feeding problems and everything is smooth and stable.