Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning A-Bolt wood stock question >

Browning A-Bolt wood stock question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning A-Bolt wood stock question

Old 05-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Browning A-Bolt wood stock question

I looked very closely at 3 different rifles today. The Browning A-Bolt Hunter, Remington CDL, and Ruger M77.....all in left handed models (a rare find!!!)

All three felt great. One thing bothered me though. When I opened the bolt and dropped the floor plate on the A-Bolt to check out the detachable magazine, I noticed that the wood that houses the magazine was.....really thin. Almost looked like you could hold the gun in your hand with the floor plate dropped and crush it.
The Remington and Ruger both seemed very solid....especially the Ruger.

Now I know that the A-Bolt rifles have a fantastic reputation, and I'm sure it's very well founded. But, I was leaning towards the Browning right up until I saw how little wood surrounds the metal. It made me think if the rifle got dropped or bumped kinda' hard above and in front of the trigger guard that instead of a "ding" I might be looking at a CRACK

Am I totally of my rocker here or has anyone else noticed this?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Browning A-Bolt wood stock question

By the way, I already know I'm off my rocker.........
Old 05-31-2007, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a big Browning fan.
The last 4 rifles I purchased are Ruger Mk2VT's... GREAT RIFLES! very accurate.
However, from your list I would pick the Remington CDL, It is the pick of the litter imho.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

i like all of those rilfes alos but just picked up a rem cdl in .280 that was discountinued in that cal for some darn reason i dont no but it is a great shooter put a scope on it, after zeroing the rilfe last shells i shot wich i want 2 say was 4 beacuse i ran out were all in the 1 inch bulls i was shooting at i was very impressed wiht it and thatsfactory ammo and a triger on the heavy side
Old 05-31-2007, 10:50 AM

I just bought a Browning A-bolt hunter II .243 and it is extremely accurate. I've had no problem like you mention but the forearm is seems short for me the stud is in the palm of my hand when I mount the rifle. So, I''m going to trade it or sell it for a Ruger or BLR. Thats my only complaint.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would choose browning a-bolt without hesitation. I honestly believe your concern is unfounded as I have never seen 1 to break.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Of those you mentioned I would pick the abolt, especially if you plan on leaving it as is. The browning if the only one of those mentioned that comes with the barrel free floated and the recoil lug bedded. I know what you are looking at and why it bothers you, but you shouldn't be concerned IMHO. The browning's trigger is easy to adjust and generally you can get them to a respectabel 3 lbs with the turn of a screwdriver. hope this helps

Old 06-12-2007, 01:11 PM

I own a browning a-bolt medallionin.270 with BOSS. I have had it for 16 years and have never had the slightest problem. I also own a a-bolt micro hunter in .243 and it too has never had a problem.

I have never heard of this problem occurring, there-fore I would probably say you are looking for an issue that does not exist.

I also own a ruger m77 stainless / syn. in .308 and a m77 compact in stainless / laminate .243 and they are both excellent shooters also. I have a remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 but no CDL, but I know remington makes a fine gun.

Out of any you have listed , I don't believe you can go wrong. Handle them all, and see what feels best to you. Go with your gut feeling, difference in price be damned, and get the gun you want. Only then will you be happy. But no, there is no question about the browning...It is a fine gun.

God Bless
Old 06-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have two Browning Micro Hunter A-bolts. One in 7-08 and the other in 325WSM. Both are excellent shooters - now. The 7-08 needed a bedding job to get it to shoot and the 325 needed some trigger work. Fortunately, I have a gunsmith that does fantastic work and is very, very reasonable. If I do my part, both of these rifles will shoot under an inch all day.