Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 GOOD CONCEALED CARRY PISTOL >

GOOD CONCEALED CARRY PISTOL

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

GOOD CONCEALED CARRY PISTOL

Old 10-04-2008, 06:07 PM

Default GOOD CONCEALED CARRY PISTOL

Need a little help. I have to make late nite deposits at our local bank. I was wondering what type of pistol would make a good ankle carrying pistol. I was thinking of a Taurus 32. Would this be a good caliber and size to carry on an ankle holster.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GOOD CONCEALED CARRY PISTOL

Ruger makes the LCP I'm sure you can find info on it if you search around the internet. It's fairly new. The only complaint I've read about it is it doesn't have a saftey. It's tiny though. It's similar to a Keltec.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been known to carry a Glock 27 in an ankle holster before. With a good fitting holster it is not uncomfortable at all, although it is a little too big to be ideal for this type of carry. Something along the lines ofa S&W "J" frame revolver is always an excellent choice as well.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

I have an LCP, and I love it. I also have a Springfield XD Subcompact .40, and a Glock 23. I have a pocket holster for the LCP.

Think about it.....how/why would you get to your ankle if an issue came up?? I recommend the LCP with a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It barely prints/advertises "gun", but it's there if you need it. If someone holds you up for cash or a wallet, they don't know what you're pulling out (the LCP on 'em, instead of cash!).
Old 10-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the LCP I just wish it had a safety. I thought seriously about them but decided I wanted something to more target shoot and it just didn't seem practical for that. I figured if I ever started carrying it full time I might add one to my collection later on.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:55 AM

I love my Springfield XD Sub-Compact. Its prob a little bigger then you would like though. Your best bet would prob be a 38 snub nose.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is nothing wrong with the Bersa Thunder .380. Its small and reliable. Check out the reports on it. Most claim its as good as a Walther without the price tag. I can carry mine in a pants pocket and no one knows it there not even my wife. Also, it tucks in nicely behind your hip with a shirt to cover it. An ankle holster my be slower to get at if needed.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sellme69

I have an LCP, and I love it. I also have a Springfield XD Subcompact .40, and a Glock 23. I have a pocket holster for the LCP.

Think about it.....how/why would you get to your ankle if an issue came up?? I recommend the LCP with a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It barely prints/advertises "gun", but it's there if you need it. If someone holds you up for cash or a wallet, they don't know what you're pulling out (the LCP on 'em, instead of cash!).
When I wear a firearm in an ankle holster it is a back up weapon not my primary one, so you bring up a good point.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

It takes 1.3 seconds for an assailent to go from 21 feet to slapping you upside the head. How long will it take you to reach down and draw your carry gun out of an ankle holster? The previous advice of an ankle gu being a back-up to a main carry gun is 100% correct.
When looking for a carry, look for something you WILL carry. So many guys buy big Glocks, Colt's, S&W's....whatever and end up not carrying them because they get to be a PITA!! To big, cumbersome, heavy to carry all the time.
The Kel-Tec and Rugers copy LCP are good little guns in .380...about the minimum a guy should carry.
A couple of guys have said something about them not having safeties....don't let that sway you.....it is a double action only gun and designed that way. No real need for a safety as it requires a long trigger pull to fire. I personally don't see a lot of difference between the Ruger and the Kel-Tec....other than price. Sure the Ruger is a tad better finished but who cares....its a carry gun.
A nice J-frame Smith is another good choice. Can't really go wrong with a revolver. Too many people have problems not maintaining a solid grip on the little pocket guns and then wonder why they jam. A limp wristed/light hold on these little mouse guns allows to much of the reciol to be absorbed and doesn't allow the action to function correctly.
Good luck in whatever you chose.
WW
Old 10-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ankle holster is not all that great,too long to get at your gun,I would look more at a pocket sized handgun like a 380 or Kahr 9m....something small but thatacts like a deturent to a wood be assalent.......Nxt ?.....are you willing to take a human life.................just a ?.....