Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 870 Express Super Magnum slug? >

870 Express Super Magnum slug?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

870 Express Super Magnum slug?

Old 10-04-2008, 05:42 PM

Default 870 Express Super Magnum slug?

My Rem. 870 ESM does not have a rifled barrel. Can I shoot slugs or those new sabots? I shot buck shot last year and lost a good buck. We can use black powder and I have a CVA but I'm not a huge fan of it. I hate the smoke after the shot.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:56 PM

Default RE: 870 Express Super Magnum slug?

I think I found my answer. Use a rifled slug.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Yup a rifled slug but i belive it has a 3.5" chamber. I dont know about how well theya re going to group having the gap from the 2 3/4" or 3" round to the end of a 3.5" chamber.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can use the foster type "rifled" slugs in any choke,just like sabot slugs-they're designed to be safely fired in any choke. However,open choke works a lot better and rifled barrel is a LOT more accurate. I would strongly suggest getting a rifled slug barrel.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

You are correct, If your barrel isn't rifled then the rifled slugs are the ones to use. In my 870 SM, the most accurate slugs out of 5 different brands were 2 3/4" Federal Tru-ball slugs.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

I agree about the Tru-Ball Federal slugs. Keep in mind that rifled slugs do not spin, the rifling on the outside of the slug crushes down so it will fit any choke. Foster type slugs (Tru-Ball is a Foster type) crush a bit because they are largely hollow.

Both types shoot with good accuracy out of an improved cylinder or modified choke BUT attach some kind of rifle sights to a bird barrel. At the range you may shoot pretty good with just the bird bead but in the field you will wonder where that accuracy went. Rifle sights and scopes are designed for solid projectiles, bird beads are not.

If you are going to deer hunt on into the future, just go ahead and buy a smooth bore deer barrel. It will be just the ticket for your under 100 yard shots. Rifled or Foster type slugs will work great, and they are cheap. (Don't waste your money on sabot slugs or a rifled barrel for short range shooting.) 2 3/4 inch are all you need too and they shoot fine out of chambers that are longer.

Bob
Old 10-05-2008, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the great info guys! I do want some sites. Any ideas for a good set? I'm not putting a scope on it as my shots with this gun will not be more than 60yds.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Robert L E

Both types shoot with good accuracy out of an improved cylinder or modified choke BUT attach some kind of rifle sights to a bird barrel. At the range you may shoot pretty good with just the bird bead but in the field you will wonder where that accuracy went. Rifle sights and scopes are designed for solid projectiles, bird beads are not.

If you are going to deer hunt on into the future, just go ahead and buy a smooth bore deer barrel. It will be just the ticket for your under 100 yard shots. Rifled or Foster type slugs will work great, and they are cheap. (Don't waste your money on sabot slugs or a rifled barrel for short range shooting.) 2 3/4 inch are all you need too and they shoot fine out of chambers that are longer.

Bob
I've not seen this, but will look it up.