Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Springfield Armory XD >

Springfield Armory XD

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Springfield Armory XD

Old 08-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Springfield Armory XD

ORIGINAL: driftrider

Another pic.

From Glock themselves:

http://www.glock.com/english/index_options.htm

I should have been specific that this is what Glock calls this on their firearm. While I do agree that the factory slide stop is a tad small to be used as a slide release, I think you are exaggerating its level of difficulty. My 8 year old son can operate it, so itcan't be that hard to accomplish. As a former Marine(assuming you are no longer active)I'm sure you have excellent combat training and can competently operate many different firearms. As a LEO I have trained with many different weapons as well. The slide does not have to be moved very far at all to release the slide.You do bringup a good point about a weak hand injury. I have been trained(as I'm sure you have as well) to use the heel of your boot, your belt, a rock or any other thing you can to rack the slide. The slide can be released on the Glock in the same manner. With practice it can be done quickly as well.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, you do whatever you have to do with whatever you have available, but using the slide release is by far the optimum way to send the slide home. I've owned one Glock, which was a Glock 21, so it might have been just my pistol, but it was definately very hard to use in the stock form. I also have large hands and getting my big thumb on that little lever wasn't easy for me. With the aftermarket extended slide release it wasn't a problem, but I guess I feel that this should be something that shouldn't be an issue for anyone. I own, or have owned, a Glock, an H&K USP, a Beretta 92FS (in addition to the M9 service pistol I carried in the Corps) and the XD, and I've shot various forms of the 1911, and the Glock is the only one that uses such a small and hard to use slide release lever. But like I said, if Glock would put the extended lever as stock equipment then it'd be on par with the others. But in the factory form, the XD, by comparison is better in this regard.

I guess my point is that I feel that the XD is a better, more refined design that makes up for what I percieve to be some of the shortcomings of the Glock. But I also do honestly think that the Glocks are a decent and capable defensive pistol for those who like them and are comfortable with them, but they not for me and I'll never own another one.

Mike
Old 08-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: driftrider

Yes, you do whatever you have to do with whatever you have available, but using the slide release is by far the optimum way to send the slide home. I've owned one Glock, which was a Glock 21, so it might have been just my pistol, but it was definately very hard to use in the stock form. I also have large hands and getting my big thumb on that little lever wasn't easy for me. With the aftermarket extended slide release it wasn't a problem, but I guess I feel that this should be something that shouldn't be an issue for anyone. I own, or have owned, a Glock, an H&K USP, a Beretta 92FS (in addition to the M9 service pistol I carried in the Corps) and the XD, and I've shot various forms of the 1911, and the Glock is the only one that uses such a small and hard to use slide release lever. But like I said, if Glock would put the extended lever as stock equipment then it'd be on par with the others. But in the factory form, the XD, by comparison is better in this regard.

I guess my point is that I feel that the XD is a better, more refined design that makes up for what I percieve to be some of the shortcomings of the Glock. But I also do honestly think that the Glocks are a decent and capable defensive pistol for those who like them and are comfortable with them, but they not for me and I'll never own another one.

Mike
You mention that you owned a Glock 21. The Glock 20/21has alarger frame/grip areathan the other Glocks so maybe that was the problem?Most complaints that I hear about the G20/21center aroundhow big and fatthe grip areais.

All I was pointing out was in its original design, the Glock slide stop lever is not designed to be a slide release. I guess we can agree to disagree.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

like many others i have 2 XD40 one all black and one tu tone OD green and black and i cant say enough about these guns..
they have shot many rounds and i cant get enough of them...
Old 08-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

You mention that you owned a Glock 21. The Glock 20/21 has a larger frame/grip area than the other Glocks so maybe that was the problem? Most complaints that I hear about the G20/21 center around how big and fat the grip area is.
That was also an issue for me. One reason I bought it was because I have big hands, and my initial impression was that it filled my hand better, but after shooting it a while I discovered that it was a little too wide even for my hands, and between that and the grip angle I found that I didn't shoot it as well as other pistols. That's one thing I like about my XD is that the grip angle and width is more like a 1911, which I really like. But, of course, this is really a matter of ergonomics which is highly subjective.

All I was pointing out was in its original design, the Glock slide stop lever is not designed to be a slide release. I guess we can agree to disagree.
I guess so. The good thing is that Glock recognises that some prefer a larger lever and offer one as an aftermarket upgrade.

Mike